DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 Intrepid/209 miles, i just got the car less then 60 days ago ,checked the oil it was good and clean,wife took the car to her mother house all was good,but on the way back the car just turned off ,no lights,didn't over heat just shut down,the only thing she did was put gas in the car ,when i looked under the hood right side of car has oil on everything,no antifreeze in the car and the oil now like mud(from the dip stick) now oil that over every thing is clean my ? can that be water pump or head gasket

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The oil slung around the right side has me thinking not only a water pump but, also the chain has ripped through the right valve cover. If you have a picture of the damage, I would like you to post it.

Also, Welcome to the site!

·
Premium Member
17,349 Posts
Though the convention (U.S.) is to call passenger side right side and driver's side left side, we don't know for certain if you are using that convention. By "right side", do you mean passenger side?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
None of that was there the day before? I'd say this may require a few detailed tests. I did note from a previous post you said the oil was not clear. If the oil is contaminated by coolant the best bet is to have it checked by a shop. Or, if you want the task, do the basics like compression test / cylinder leakdown etc. I will say, the outlook at this point does not look good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
yes it runs ,had to jump it battery was dead ,it sounds good was a little knocking but when a way in about a half a second ,a little white smoke then stop,i didn t run it that long about 2min

·
Woober Goobers!
51,033 Posts
Hard to tell in the pictures...but is that coolant all over the left side instead of oil? You indicated it was low on coolant when you checked? What's the condition of the oil now? Is it clear or milky?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hard to tell in the pictures...but is that coolant all over the left side instead of oil? You indicated it was low on coolant when you checked? What's the condition of the oil now? Is it clear or milky?
no thats oil , yes it milky

·
Woober Goobers!
51,033 Posts
No indication of where the oil came from? Strange without a break on the valve cover. The valve cover is intact? No cracks?

Unless that's from the oil/coolant mixture blowing out from the coolant overflow tank via the cap after an overheat. The coolant temp gauge wouldn't give an accurate reading from the sensor if the water pump blew out and lost coolant inside the engine. I'd say some dis-assembly is needed to see what happened. Definitely don't run it with the oil/coolant mix in the oil pan!!

·
Premium Member
17,349 Posts
...but is that coolant all over the left side instead of oil?...
Sure is wet right around the coolant reservoir, ain't it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
what a good water pump
OEM. Period.

You'll need to determine if you have or don't have the new upgraded timing system. If you don't have it, seek-out the new timing assembly with the upgraded pump. It's been noted to be MUCH more reliable.

I know it's easy to say buy the expensive goodies but it's necessary with these components. If you were to buy a crappy aftermarket pump and it's bearings or gasket fail shortly after install the engine will be shot (know a few people this happen to!). In addition, the timing chain and guides are more then likely wore excessively if you're high in mileage.

I haven't read the whole thread, so excuse any history I may have missed. But this is my general opinion on the 2.7L. After the W/P and T/C have been re-done, the engine is bullet proof.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
do the old timing chain and the new one look the same,what are all the part i should do while i have the cover off???,were is a good place to get OEM parts from?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts