DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed some leaks under my car, and I always thought it was tranny Oil, since i was kinda low on it, but after looking more carefully, i found out it was coolant, so i looked a little more deeply, and I noticed that there was no pressure in the hoses or in the coolant reservoir... took it to the dealer, and told them to have a look at the waterpump, so they did, and they are changing the pump and the timing chain (or belt) I forgot what the 2.7 has...and they are also changing some other part where it was leaking from...the pump and chain are covered in my waranty, so that it gonna be 100 for the deductible (thank God) and that other thing is gonna be around 190, so hopefully this will help my engine last longer, and for $300 total, I think it's a pretty good deal! I should have my car back tomorrow, so we will see how it goes.

do you guys think that If i wouldnt have caught this, my engine could have been destroyed?

Andrei

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,448 Posts
Its a good thing you caught it in time. The 2.7 does have a chain. If coolant would have gotten into the oil, or the bearings or sprocket in the water pump would have failed, it would have been time for a 3.5HO.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think it still may have gotten into the oil or anything? the guy at the dealer said that they have some kind of thing on it where the coolant would just go on the ground (which is what happened) if it were to go bad!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,448 Posts
Badasstrep said:
do you think it still may have gotten into the oil or anything? the guy at the dealer said that they have some kind of thing on it where the coolant would just go on the ground (which is what happened) if it were to go bad!

It can get into the oil. The "thing" that the dealer describes doesnt always work. Pull your dipstick and look inside your valve cover by taking off your oil cap. If the oil looks like a latte you would get at starbucks, then there is water in there. If not, I would at least do an oil change, if they are not already doing it.

Reactions: Badasstrep

·
Registered
979 Posts
Badasstrep said:
You are talking about the weep hole. There is a small chamber between the inner and outer seal on the water pump shaft. The idea is that the inner seal will leak before the outer one does; it leaks into this small chamber between the 2 seals and that is vented to the outside world via the weep hole. When coolant appears at the weep hole like yours did, then you change the pump before it gets any worse. At this point, when the leak is new, it should not have gotten bad enough to make it past the outer seal and into the crankcase.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, they changed that, the chain, tensioner, along with that little nipple looking thing at the top that always had dried coolant around it, and replaced with a solid one with no nipple, and i noticed that higher, past the plenum, they added this tube, and the coolant from the reservoir goes through that first, I remember reading somewhere that the 02+ models have that, and it is to evaporate the coolant or something? anyway, they told me that the engine was very clean inside, and it had on trace of sludge, so I am releaved, and I am hoping that I wont have problems with it in the future, all this cost me $336.94...thanks to waranty!
thanks to all that replied, you all have + REP!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
If it is still under warrenty after this, I would try and blow up the engine as quickly as possible because you probably have damaged bearings (mains, pins, cam) and the oil pump is probably scored.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.