DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question for all you folks who've replaced the water pump on the 1st Gen, or have experience with water pumps in general.

Is there an audible warning that failure is imminent? I have a slight squeeling noise coming from that area, and it increases slightly with acceleration. This is the only symptom. The temp gauge doesn't fluctuate, and it runs as cool as it did when I first got the car.

I am hoping it is only a belt tension problem. I am going to go outside and look at that right now.

Any info would be great.

UPDATE: It is not the waterpump as I feared. When I changed the serpentine belt the last time, I neglected to tighten the tensioner bolt properly and it work its way loose. All is well now.

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I had the water pump on my old car (a 95 Intrepid 3.3L) because there was a slight leak around the gasket. I have had no problems with the water pump not working, though.

·
Registered
436 Posts
No matter whaton the 3.5L, the water pump and timing belt should be changed every 100,000 miles. If it doesn't go at or before 100,000 it will happen soon (I got to 115,000). One thing that people don't tell the 3.5 owners when this job is being performed is that there are 2 more O-ring seals behind the timing belt plate (not sure what they are called, but there are involved with the sealing off of coolant) that should be replaced as well while you are this far into the job. This takes like an extra 15 minutes and $5.00. And correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think the biggest reason for doing this job is a failing water pump, but either the timing belt snaps, or the water pump starts to leak. So, a guy should replace the timing belt, the water pump, and the 2 O-rings behind the timing belt plate.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i had my water pump replaced at about 56000 miles - it was seeping and i figured it was better to go ahead and replace it before it became a real problem.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I had mine replaced about 60,000. It overheated through Chicago, imagine that. One thing if it does go replace the timing too. A lot of times it will lock up and through the timing belt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well mine has 83k and its sitting with a broken water pump now. I have a water pump but like you all said I'm ordering a timing belt online to replace the old. Thanks for the tip on the o rings though. I'll order them also. Would have hated to pay just for those to be busted to. I'm going out to sea for a month so she'll sit there until sept. at least. (even having thoughts of trading it in on a new bmw 325 seeing how they are available for 23,000 with u.s. specs) Hard to pass on that. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts