DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it finally happened to me too. Flying back from Flint on Christmas eve in excess of 100 mph I noticed that I was kicking up more "snow" than anyone else on the highway, Thought it was because of my excessive speed. Turns out I was spitin' coolant all over heck. lol .. well, sounds like the pump cause of the awful bearing noise I hear. After some manuel research I've noticed that this is not an easy fix. Not at all!!. How many clams am I out gang?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Originally posted by Dooley_96 Intrepid ES:
Well, it finally happened to me too. Flying back from Flint on Christmas eve in excess of 100 mph I noticed that I was kicking up more "snow" than anyone else on the highway, Thought it was because of my excessive speed. Turns out I was spitin' coolant all over heck. lol .. well, sounds like the pump cause of the awful bearing noise I hear. After some manuel research I've noticed that this is not an easy fix. Not at all!!. How many clams am I out gang?
Well, the water pump is definantly a suspect... I have been told that when it goes out or is on the way out that it gets pretty audible and begins to leak. I had mine replaced along with the timing belt as a preventive measure at 90,000 miles. The entire job was about $300(clams)
:D . I would recommend that you have the timing belt replaced along with the water pump (if you haven't done so already) because of the proximity and work involved.
Good luck!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Its a buttload of work so its expensive...

I paid about $600 for Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, seals, gasket...

Get that tensioner replaced when they have the whole thing apart, I had a close call when mine snapped off while driving. the 3.5 is an interfernce motor and not having the valves move with the pistons still are can be a real problem..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh joy! Thanks brothers. I speck I'll change the timin' too. Darn thing costin me my horse! ...I am a maaaaaaa...an ...of costant sorrow....I've seen trouble...all my days...!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the 3.5's are free-spinning engines. And changing the water pump is not that bad, if you've had a bit of experience with cars. It took me about a day to do it, and was MUCH cheaper than taking it to a dealer. And yes, whether you change it or take it to a dealer, get the belt changed as well. And heck, a new tensioner couldn't hurt as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 3.5 is non-interference, so your valves and everything are safe. On another group, yahoo, Some one said it's 4-5 hour job to do yourself. I looked at the Haynes manual and it seems pretty straight forward, if you like to work on cars. Also, Dodge made a bigger water pump in 96-97, which should last longer than the small pumps. Use this one, it needs a slightly longer timing belt, but that should be replaced at this time anyway. Probably a moot point, you wrote this on 12/27 and it's 1/14 now. If you had it done at the dealer what did they get you for?

·
Registered
560 Posts
i heard that when those waterpumps go...they GO! burns the hell out of the belt, sends the valves on a collision course with the pistons...thats prob what happened tpo\ wildcat...i just replaced the timing belt and the waterpump was a royal pain in the testicular area...

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
ahh.. the joys of ownin a 3.3l.. ;)
my water pump is in its own housing, away from the timing belt/chain.. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts