DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tomorrow im gettin my car checked and ive haeard water pump needs checked, i should be gettin a new serpentine belt, trans fluid changed, oil, oil filter, air filter, was wonderin if I should tell em to look at it, I'm goin to jiffy lube cause theve always done a good job, anything else I should get checked, and info on the pumper of water, thanks REDD

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
need to know the year and the engine size of your trep . If you have the 3.5/3.2 you wont be able to check the W/pump .

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
so what your saying is it runs to cool? if you had a bad pump you would overheat it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is theirs signs to tell that the pump is going out, I have no clue, so any tips like if I need to keep greasin it or anything, im new to the trip were two weeks old, so any input . I have no clue of the history of maintenance and I want the stuff I want in it, like mobil 1 trans flush and refill, aall the things to check up on, and I heard water pump was one of them.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
whats the milage on the car? the waterpumps can sometimes go bad , not much you can look for on the 3.5. sure changing the coolant cant be bad . One thing for sure is if you have high miles on it (100 000 +) and you dont know if the timing belt has ever been done it may be a good idea to change it , and at the same time do the waterpump( same location) could save an engine job down the road.

·
Registered
964 Posts
The belt should be checked at 60K miles. If it looks ok you can run it to 105K miles and then change it. You have to take off a lot of stuff to check the belt so you might as well change it. Since the water pump is driven by the belt and is a PITA to change , you might as well put in a new one. The tensioner pulley should be checked also and changed if necessary. A lot of work and expense but necessary for" peace of mind" on a dark road in the middle of nowhere. :D Just my $0.02.:dozeoff:

FredB:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
what will happen if i just remove the thermostat once and for all..??? we used the technique in Saudi Arabia..where temp in summer reachs around 50C air and 65-70C road, so old cars and almost all amercan cars over heat as they dont ship the cars with proper radiators like the JAPS doo..my question again

will it hurt the milage mpg any way???

and i live near chicago and get losts of snow...??

isnt cool = better but some peps say too cool = more MPG??

thanks
!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts