DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help, my water pump was going so I started to tear into it. got the front part of the engine off, now it looks like I need to take off the top half too... can any one offer some help. do I need to remove the valve covers to loosen up the chain so i can change the water pump? The last car I worked on was a 78 thunderbird. This engine is in a shoe box compared to that .. don't get me worng I love my car alot but.... the book i have is rather confusing to me.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Tea, try the FSM for now. I'm pretty sure the guru's are going to chime in soon with their expert advice.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Since you mention that it has a chain I assume you have a 2.7 engine.
To change the water pump you will have to remove the chain, which requires upper intake, both valve covers, front engine cover and cam sprockets to come off. It will also be necessary to retime the valvetrain when you put the chain back on( should also consider replacing timing chain and tensioner while you have them out if they have not previously been replaced)
You mentioned that your manual was confusing. If you havent already done so it is worth the time to download the factory service manual metioned in the post above ,it is a big file but it has complete instructions for anything you will ever do for the car, I think it is actually a 2002 manual but most things are the same(the timing chain tensioner was changed in 2000 so yours will be slightly different if older ) . The Haynes manual also has pretty good instructions in it including pictures that help. But you will need a manual to get it assembled and timed correctly. Also note for any manual refer to the section on timing chain replacement in addition to water pump replacement for complete instructions for this job.
It will be quite a bit different than your 78 Tbird, or most any other car's water pump replacement for that matter, but it isn't that hard of install.
Good Luck!!

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I was looking in your profile to see if mentioned which engine you had to confirm that when you said chain, you really did mean that you have a 2.7 and noticed that you said that one of your occupations is mom. So putting two and two together, you are a mom who works on cars? Very rare indeed.

I am not familiar with the 2.7 engines, but good luck. The first thing I'd do is download that Manual linked in that first reply and go from there.

BTW, I'm gonna take a guess and say that you're Hmong. Am I correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts