DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thoroughly washed the trep last night in preparation for a wax job this evening. Based on suggestions in posts here, I purchased the Meguiar's (sp?) Gold wax.

Question: Is this stuff safe to use on all the painted surfaces, including the plastic bumpers and such? I once waxed my 91 Lumina and the wax I used discolored the plastic bumper covers and other pieces on the doors - want to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I use Meguire's Gold wax on mine, no problems so far!

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
First of all, if you washed the car yesterday and haven't waxed it yet, you need to wash it again, unless it's been garaged the whole time between. Washing, polishing, waxing etc. all needs to be done in one continuous sweep. Otherwise you run the risk of waxing in surface contaminants and guaranteed there is dust all over the car that will cause scratches during the wax application.

As for what can be waxed, any painted surface can be waxed. On the Trep that includes the plastic bumpers and the aluminum pieces on the B and C pillars. The Meguiar's Gold Class wax is some of the best out there and if the surface was prepared properly will produce great results for you...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know... I probably will give it a quick wash again tonight. But there were little specs of tar-like junk allover the lower surfaces of the doors and bumpers that needed some work. Not enough time in the evening to do it all in one shot. They were a ***** to get off - and I couldn't remove them all. Must have driven over fresh asphalt or something.

I also realize this should have been posted to the show and shine section - my bad! Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
If you're having trouble with those spots try some bug and tar remover or some detailing clay. On spots like that I usually start with some Meguiar's Bug and Tar remover, then finish them off with some detailing clay. This usually takes about 15 minutes to do all the way around the car...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can vouch for the quality of the Gold Class wax -- great stuff! I even use it on the clear plastic covering the tail lights and reflector bar -- makes it clear and shiny like you wouldn't believe. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts