DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

What Do You Think: Global Warming

• It exists, but it's not our fault.. and we should prepare ourselves for its effects

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • It exists.. and we are responsible for it and should reverse it however we can

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • It does not exist at all.. merely a figment of our imaginations

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I don't know / Other

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What Do You Think: Global Warming.

I think it's real.. but not our fault. I think we need to do something about it, but not something to necessarily "reverse" it... but things to prepare ourselves for how it will affect the world's climates.

I think it is a natural part of how our planet works. We can no more change it than we can change the pace of continental drift. All we can do is prepare for how it is going to affect us.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I think it's real as well. And I do think we have contributed to it considerably. But, I don't think it's entirely because of us. Like you said, I think it's part of a cycle the planet goes through and eventually - if we don't make matters worse by continously polluting so much - it will stabilize itself. That said, I don't think that "stabilization" will come until things get worse. The planet will get warmer and so will the oceans, more ice will melt around the poles for a long time before things start to go back to what we've been used to.

Of course, this is impossible to tell - since scientists can't agree on this, it's hard to know what to think of such a tremendous issue. I just think we should really make more of an effort to minimize pollution - politics and corporate interests keep things from being done many times.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, pollution is always something we should be mindful of and make efforts to reduce.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think we may have contributed, however I believe that it is mainly due to the earths natural cycle.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Comparing the natural cycle of the earth's global warming to what we have done with it is like comparing somebody who's walking around the earth, to somebody that's taking a flight. We've definitly sped up the process a considerable amount. If my bike didn't cost so much, I'd start using more as a mode of transportation to reduce pollution, save money, and get into shape.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hijack - Sorry Mark...

Spinnaker said:
i believe it's a load of lesbian vomit
I believe you should go back to your little Nova boards...the sooner the better.

Don't post in a thread if you're not going to contribute to it. No one wants to read most of the the **** you post.

/end Hijack

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
ITS MAY AND IT SSTILL NOT GETTING WARM HERE.... GLobal warming is government conspericy.

·
Registered
795 Posts
We've had 17 ice ages in the last 2 million years that lasted about 100,000+ years each, with 10,000+ year periods in between (interglacial periods). We're now 2000 years overdue for the 18th ice age.
Think about that little tidbit! It all depends on which scientist/activist you talk to, but in reality.... we (humans) as advanced as we are, don't know ****! I really don't want to live in/on a glacier (I'm typing this in a spot that was a mile or so under ice last ice age!) I think I'll go the safe route and continue my polluting ways... :eviltongu If **** does start warming up Canada will be the new tropics! I love palm trees!

Example of the confusion: :rolleyes:
(and these two arn't even from the crackpots, National geographic and USA Today are quite respectable, yet their reports are conflicting)

Artic Melting Fast!!!! OMG we'll all drown!!

Artic is Growing!!!! OMG we'll all freeze!!!

·
Registered
849 Posts
I agree that it's part of a natural cycle and that we have superimposed our influences on it. The depletion of the ozone maybe causing the Arctic to warm while the burning off of tropical rainforests maybe causing the equatorial climate to cool (smoke in the atmosphere increases the albedo BUT it ccan also trap heat -- greenhose effect). So there are all kinds of feedback loops and butterflies flapping wings :butterfly here and there to be studied. A good comet or meteor hit will eventually set things right again... :eek:mg

·
Registered
468 Posts
well it is our fault i realy dont see a way to fix it but to start preparing for the worst

·
Registered
646 Posts
Intrepid Guy said:
Hijack - Sorry Mark...

I believe you should go back to your little Nova boards...the sooner the better.

Don't post in a thread if you're not going to contribute to it. No one wants to read most of the the **** you post.

/end Hijack
he asked for my opinion, i gave it. **** off you homo :violin:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Intrepid Guy said:
Hijack - Sorry Mark...

/end Hijack
I think you should edit youtr post and post about the global warming or you INFACT are doing what your saying hes doing.
Your whole post is about spinnaker and not global warming.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I don't think we can know for sure one way or the other. We haven't lived on this planet as humans long enough. If it is "warming" then we probably have contributed to it, but our contribution is like farting in a room. Is my fart going to warm the room up to the point everything melts? Hardly. :fart:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Gundy said:
I don't think we can know for sure one way or the other. We haven't lived on this planet as humans long enough. If it is "warming" then we probably have contributed to it, but our contribution is like farting in a room. Is my fart going to warm the room up to the point everything melts? Hardly. :fart:
Speak for yourself :D

Actually, if you look at how many vehicles are on the road, and how much carbon dioxide we are producing through our energy usage, I think it's more than just a "fart in a room". Consider the fact that our energy consumption is probably increasing per person, and the population is growing increasingly, I think it is safe to assume that we are having a very large, very negative impact on our environment.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
We went over this exact issue in several different classes over the past year or so and I spent some time looking into it. Mark is missing an additional option in the poll. It is our fault for contributing to it but NOT for causing it.

Many people are like EngineerJoe, they do what they reasonably can to not contribute to it as much and regardless of how much or how little impact they may have, at the end of the day... they don't feel as guilty as they did before so kudos to them. I'm not gonna be the asshole that's gonna prove to them that the only thing they're doing is comforting their own tree huggeriness cause for every one person that buys a hybrid or a bike or whatever, there's gotta be at least a dozen Mrs. Joneses out there buying the next bigger SUV to drive all alone to the mall and back.

Other people see it like I do, use it while you still have it cause once it's gone or you can't afford it or both... all that treehugging would have ended up being pretty ****ing useless, no? While everyone else got there faster/hauled more stuff, you made several trips/got passed by semis but damn it... you got better mileage/polluted less and you combined with all your friends offset the governments cutting off fuel supplies by ..... 3, maybe 4 minutes.

Hey though, in the end, if something makes you happy... go and do it. We all live our own lives and it's our choice to make what we want to do with our time. If it makes you feel better and you sleep better at night, drive a hybrid, ride your bike when possible, carpool, whatever you can. If you feel like I do that it's gonna come when it's gonna come and there's little we can do as a whole, then hey, keep on rocking in the free world.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
I agree that warming is part of the natural cycle. But I also believe that we have done our share to change the climate. At one time I thought our "contribution" was speeding up global warming - now I'm not so sure, nor are the climatologists. As they continue to add more ecological and natural cycles to the world model the pattern changes. Right now there's some interesting research going on to advance our knowledge of ocean currents - the biggest source of heat exchange on the planet.

However, I voted #2 anyway even though I'm not sure we're responsible. But considering the probable effects of it we should be doing everything we can to slow it down (no way to stop it) so we have time to adapt as a society.
Gundy said:
And I always thought that was how Eskimo's kept the igloo warm ... :biggrin:

·
Registered
865 Posts
May have contributed? humans create trillions of tons of pollution per year and it doesnt just dissapear without effect, the earth on its own has many of its own process of replenishing itself, like a circle of life (go figure) when when you use up or destroy things that can not be re-produced or not as fast as the rate at which they are used you will have problems.

Humans however have only existed for a minute fraction of the time the earth has been around so who is to say the way things really work, maybe a global warming effect or repeat ice ages are bound to happen no matter what.

Only time will tell

·
Registered
605 Posts
Stock04Intrepid said:
Speak for yourself :D

Actually, if you look at how many vehicles are on the road, and how much carbon dioxide we are producing through our energy usage, I think it's more than just a "fart in a room". Consider the fact that our energy consumption is probably increasing per person, and the population is growing increasingly, I think it is safe to assume that we are having a very large, very negative impact on our environment.
Yeah, the only damage that causes "very large, negatives impacts" are nuclear bombs going off. Just us driving around in a cars isn't enough.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts