DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run Windows XP and I have a Belkin wireless router connected to the our high speed modem. We have a static IP address we use and if things run slow I can go to Start->Control Panel->Network And Internet Connections->Network Connections and then right click on "Local Area Connections" then go "Properties" then highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click "Properties". When I go there my static IP numbers are blank and the "Obtain An IP Adress Automatically" option is on. I can put the numbers in again along with the "Use This IP address" option but it does it again. This also happened with the other router we used to have (I forget the brand now).

Any ideas why these numbers keep getting dropped out? It didn't do this without a router.

·
Registered
347 Posts
go to pcpitstop.com run their completely free test and it'll give you an excellent idea why its doing that....hope this helps

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
So you're running a Static IP on the LAN side. Make sure DHCP is disabled on the router and also make sure you have the correct TCP/IP settings: as in making sure you're not using a DHCP client instead of manually setting it to use a certain IP, subnet mask and gateway

Or if you want you can go DHCP then go into the router and do a Static DHCP setup that gives out certain IP addresses via matching MAC addresses.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I run Windows XP and I have a Belkin wireless router connected to the our high speed modem. We have a static IP address we use and if things run slow I can go to Start->Control Panel->Network And Internet Connections->Network Connections and then right click on "Local Area Connections" then go "Properties" then highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click "Properties". When I go there my static IP numbers are blank and the "Obtain An IP Adress Automatically" option is on. I can put the numbers in again along with the "Use This IP address" option but it does it again. This also happened with the other router we used to have (I forget the brand now).

Any ideas why these numbers keep getting dropped out? It didn't do this without a router.
Let it obtain the IP

·
Registered
66 Posts
Unless you are paying for a static IP address from your ISP. You will be leased one when you log on usually for 24 hours. If you are trying to assign static addresses to computers on your network, behind the router that is something different and unless you need to identify a specific machine on the network let DHCP take care of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts