DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Intrepid SE has been kinda acting like a shitbox recently. A persisting issue has been the concerning the blower motor switch. Sometimes it hasn't activated the blower motor unless you hit the steering wheel. It was funny when it first happened but now that the cold weather has come in, it's been pretty irritating. I would assume it's maybe a loose connection but I'd not idea where to start. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Also more recently the interior door handle broke. The plastic loop that holds the door latch arm broke so i fixed it temporarily with a zip tie. I noticed there aren't any screws holding the interior door pull to the panel, just plastic rivets. I'm preparing to buy a door panel that works in the spring but if anyone knows a good way to remove and install a new door handle without having to replace the whole panel that would be ideal but I'm thinking that won't be the case.

Seriously if anyone has any info that could be useful, anything is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
18,048 Posts
Grind the rivet heads off and use small sheet metal, plastic, or wood screws and washers to attach replacement pull. You have to get innovative. Size the screws right and drill where necessary so you don't over stress and break the plastic of the door panel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grind the rivet heads off and use small sheet metal, plastic, or wood screws and washers to attach replacement pull. You have to get innovative. Size the screws right and drill where necessary so you don't over stress and break the plastic of the door panel.
Thanks! Really appreciate it! I’ll remember that for later.

·
Premium Member
18,048 Posts
Thanks! Really appreciate it! I’ll remember that for later.
You're welcome.

Between Lowes (maybe Home Depot), an Ace Hardware store (with a wall of drawers of various sizes and types of screws and washers), and McMaster-Carr (mail order - www.mcmaster.com - ship same day, typically get stuff in 2 or 3 days with ground shipping - great company to deal with), you should be able to find the right screws and washers.

I forget what size screws I ended up using (#4 or #6 probably). Washers may have been standard 1/8" pop rivet washers or small-size fender washers. IIRC, the plastic rivet posts of the door panel may already be hollow (have a hole) and may or may not need drilling (may or may not have to drill for screw length too). Of course you want to size the screw and hole for enough bite into the plastic without cracking it (old and can be brittle). McMaster-Carr has various sizes and lengths of screws made for self-tapping plastic if you don't find sheet metal or wood screws small enough at the hardware store - choices in the smaller sizes can be pretty low.

Not saying to over-think it - just trying to get you pointed in the right direction. As they say - it's not rocket science. But it will take you more time to get a good hardware selection and process than to do the actual work.

You'll typically get a whole box of small screws or washers at McMater-Carr for what you get a small handful of similar at the hardware stores. Shipping typically runs around $8 or $10 per order, IIRC, for several part numbers - so order 2 or 3 types to experiment with in one order. But if you get what you need (see "Rolling Stones"), so what? 🤷‍♂️ 😁

Reactions: JordanS

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're welcome.

Between Lowes (maybe Home Depot), an Ace Hardware store (with a wall of drawers of various sizes and types of screws and washers), and McMaster-Carr (mail order - www.mcmaster.com - ship same day, typically get stuff in 2 or 3 days with ground shipping - great company to deal with), you should be able to find the right screws and washers.

I forget what size screws I ended up using (#4 or #6 probably). Washers may have been standard 1/8" pop rivet washers or small-size fender washers. IIRC, the plastic rivet posts of the door panel may already be hollow (have a hole) and may or may not need drilling (may or may not have to drill for screw length too). Of course you want to size the screw and hole for enough bite into the plastic without cracking it (old and can be brittle). McMaster-Carr has various sizes and lengths of screws made for self-tapping plastic if you don't find sheet metal or wood screws small enough at the hardware store - choices in the smaller sizes can be pretty low.

Not saying to over-think it - just trying to get you pointed in the right direction. As they say - it's not rocket science. But it will take you more time to get a good hardware selection and process than to do the actual work.

You'll typically get a whole box of small screws or washers at McMater-Carr for what you get a small handful of similar at the hardware stores. Shipping typically runs around $8 or $10 per order, IIRC, for several part numbers - so order 2 or 3 types to experiment with in one order. But if you get what you need (see "Rolling Stones"), so what? 🤷‍♂️ 😁
Ok. With the blower motor, do you think it could be going out? Or would there be another issue going on?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. With the blower motor, do you think it could be going out? Or would there be another issue going on?
I’m only asking bc it’s getting really cold and having no heat when hitting the steering wheel doesn’t work is not fun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A plug in, pen style, solderting iron will melt the plastic rivet heads to ease removal. save the brokewn pieces of that plastic, because you can remelt, reweld it to together. Be extremely careful not to go to deeply, or the tip will come through the front side of your trim. You can also reattatch broken legs, etc on your trim pieces. do it in a well ventilated area, and take frequent breaks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts