hey im new here, i recently bought a 00 intrepid. ive had it a month and its a pretty good car, but i find everytime i get out of the car i get shocked. is my car a freak or does anyone else have this problem?
I actually have had this problem with my 1996 Dodge Intrepid, a friends 1995 Mustang, my moms 1996 Dodge Caravan, and my other friends 1995 Chevy Cavalier. Its not all the time like you are saving, but it does occur every once in a while.
I think this is the reason why the tell you to turn your car off at the gas pumps.
It's pretty common. I've just learned to hold onto a metal part of the door while getting out. Once you're standing on the ground, you're fine. If you don't, then it's sparky time when you shut the door!
It happens more if you move around a lot on the seat or shuffle you feet on the carpet because you're building up a static charge. If you hold a metal part of the door, the electricity won't arc to your hand when you reach to close it, and therefore won't shock you.