DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have to following problem for a 99 3.5 300M with 160,000 miles.

Let car sit for few hours and if I try to start it it cranks for few seconds and starts slowly ,like it takes a second or two to reach the idle ...really slow from zero to 8--900rpm or whatever is the cold idle.If I turn it off as soon as it starts the 2nd try starts normal and problem goes away.

Could be an injector that leaks or the fuel regulator /fuel pump.
The same problem I got like a year ago when the piece between the fuel rail and fuel line start leaking on the steering rack and cats lol ....fixed it with a hose ,clamps ...its like new over there and I check it every 6 months ,but the problem its kinda the same ,slow rev like its a lack of fuel.

If its the fuel pump I have a brand new one from a 2.7 300M (mine is 3.5) will it fit? Its OEM and new ,that car killed itself before it had time to enjoy a new pump.
If its the fuel regulator I imagine its the one on the pump right? I have the whole unit I pulled from the tank.
If its a leaky injector no idea how to check which one ....but I have 6 left from another 3.5 (its good when you have a crap ton of 300Ms lol ) but I don't know what other parts I should order to change them. I imagine I will need few new gaskets right ?

I know car diagnosis at distance is a stupid thing but I bet people here know the behavior and issues of these cars better than a european mechanic that has the car in front of him.

p.s. I need a way to diagnose this without having to "smell" gas because I'm one of the few people on this planet that lacks that sense...never had the sense of smell ,I don't even know what smell is or where people feel it...I know that it should smell gas in the engine bay if the injector leaks outside or behind the car if it floods the cylinder at start.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,497 Posts
Do a fuel pressure leak down test, and a system test.

Sounds like the classic leaky injector.

Reactions: amtct

·
Premium Member
18,389 Posts
The Chrysler parts pdf's show two fuel pumps: One for domestic (U.S. & Canada), one for "Export" (Europe). No distinction for 2.7 vs. 3.5. I don't know if there is any show stopper form-fit-function interchangeability issue between the two fuel pumps. I wouldn't think so, but who knows.

If one of your cars is "domestic" and the other "export", try the swap and see. If it blows up, then you'll know. 🤪

·
Premium Member
18,389 Posts
If is leaky injector(s), there's a chance that running Techron or Sea Foam (or whatever equivalents you have over there) thru a couple tanks of fuel. That's been known to fix it, but not every time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do a fuel pressure leak down test, and a system test.

Sounds like the classic leaky injector.
No need to because if I turn on the ignition few times before I start it starts fine. If the injector was leaking that would never happen. It looks like its a fuel pump issue .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Chrysler parts pdf's show two fuel pumps: One for domestic (U.S. & Canada), one for "Export" (Europe). No distinction for 2.7 vs. 3.5. I don't know if there is any show stopper form-fit-function interchangeability issue between the two fuel pumps. I wouldn't think so, but who knows.

If one of your cars is "domestic" and the other "export", try the swap and see. If it blows up, then you'll know. 🤪
There are a crap ton of fuel pumps for these cars but the one I got from the 2.7 is brand new and OEM and imo OEM should hold better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts