DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Intrepidatious, I think you forgot about the really fast car of the mid 80's. It sure wasn't the vette, it was the buick GN from 85 to 87 and then the special GNX version in the last year of 87. That car owned the road and still rules today.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I will always have a place in my heart for the Camaro cause I've owned 3 of them. The first car I ever bought brand new was a 78 Z-28. I have also owned a 71 Z-28 which came factory stock with a 350/300hp motor, tons of torq, a 4-speed hurst shifter, by far the fastest car I ever had. I also had a 73 Camaro SS.

History does repeat itself. VW gave rebirth to the Beetle, Nissan is bringing back the "Z", Honda is bringing back the CRX, Comvertables are back. So who knows...

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Originally posted by 94IntrepidES:
Intrepidatious, I think you forgot about the really fast car of the mid 80's. It sure wasn't the vette, it was the buick GN from 85 to 87 and then the special GNX version in the last year of 87. That car owned the road and still rules today.

How right you are! A thousand apologies...that car almost goes without mentioning. It is a monster! :)

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Nothing surprises me when it comes to GM, yet it was inevitable. The sales have been poor for quite some time and combined for this year both camaro and firebird may reach 70,000 units. I think the 'Stang is still around 275-300,000.

They're really a one-seater car. I'm 6-3 and never could get comfortable in one as a driver and for a passenger, well the latest models have the converter in the front passenger floorboard so for me my knees are in my face. As far the back, forget it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Big article in the Ottawa Citizen on Friday regarding the demise of the Camaro/Firebird. The plant in Ste Thérese, Quebec is only about 1 1/2 hours from me so the tale is close to home.
One of the major issues is the fact that the prime audience for this class of car tends to be those in the 18-24 age group. They believe that the insurance rates for these individuals owning these cars are way out of line and not affordable. Hence, sales have fallen off dramatically. For instance, a 24 year old with an excellent driving record would pay $3500.00 (CDN) per year to drive one of these things. As p%ssed off as this young writer was and is, since he was saving up for one next year when he would turn 25, he reaffirmed the popularity of RICERS and the ability of this age group to buy a 4-cyl and soup 'n spice it up, while paying a reasonable amount to the insurance companies.

Just thought you'd be interested since it's all in the area around here.

Danny
Capitalcity R/T

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.