DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to the exhaust shop that Thrasher went to for a conversion to TRUE DUALS. I already have the Flowmaster exhaust but its too loud. I wanted to have them install another resonator, but figured I might as well go ahead and have them create a true dual since it should not be that difficult anyway. I was thinking about maybe having
side exit pipes in front of the rear wheels on both sides, just to be different. Would this be practical ?? Please give me your honest opinions, I can handle it. THANKS,

George

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I don't think that would be good on a 4 door, only because it would exit under the rear doors. That could burn whoever gets in and out. It's ok on a 2 door car because there isn't a door right in front of the rear wheels.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind is that side exhaust would be louder. You are eliminating the extra pipe that bends over the axle. Less pipe, less resistance, more noise.

On another note, pipes exiting out the side AFTER the wheels looks pretty bad, there is a maxima in my area that had this done, to sum it up quickly it looks like hell.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who gave me their advice, I think I will stick with the normal exit. I will let you all know how it turns out. I am going to the track in a couple of weeks so I can some "official numbers". I also might try and find a performance shop who can build me an intake now that GR8WHT is not doing it anymore. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
u gonna head on over here to sunshine? or east bay track? lemme know, i'll take a ride over there with ya, we can compare numbers... :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thats what I like to see, more Intrepid owners hitting the drag strip! I was gonna make my monthly trip to the track this Saturday but they have a stupid import shootout going on, and they don't allow open racing. Now I have to wait til next Friday!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
bb, in response to a post in an earlier thread when you compared your 1/4 times to someone else driving an R/T. the reason your 1/4 is slow is becuase you're running in hot, damp air. i'd bet that if you ran a night run somewhere with "better" air you could probably drop .2 or .3.

still faster than my ride could run a 1/4.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The nice hot damp air here in florida is just that.... so I uess it just depends on where in the country you are...times are gonna vary...I'm interested in seeing ya'll northern folks 1/4 times as well :)

97 sport, wanna race? LOLOLOL :D

:p

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
You all have good points, but it is also illegal to have exhaust on a passenger car exit before the rear wheels. Me and a buddy found that out in my '74 Nova and his '70 Chevelle, right from the cop's mouth. What i think would look kinda cool is to find some way to exit the exhaust through the lower side section of the bumper cover. I saw it done on a custom S-10 and thought it looked cool. They had an aluminum heat guard that bolted around the exit to stop any melting.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
that probably wouldn't be that hard to do. take off the bumper and you should be able to cut thru that pissy plastic with a jigsaw. cut it out a little big then tool a metal band to go inside it.

thrasher: i got to stop setting myself up. :mad:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
hmm, in my opinion the back end is too high to put the exhaust through the body in the back.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thrasher, the track my friend and I are going to is in Bradenton off Highway 64
(exit 44 on I-75) towards Wauchula. My friend is taking his 2000 Civic Si (he is kind of a ricer, his other car is a 98 Eclipse GST). I am meeting him at his house in Brandon. If you want, we can meet up at the Gibsonton exit on I-75 (exit 48) and caravan down to the track in Bradenton.
Let me know, you can email me directly at
[email protected]
George

·
Registered
38 Posts
I could be wrong but I think I read that Dodge had to go to straight exhaust on the Viper because they had problems with a few states with the side exhaust they had for a few years.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thrasher and others, I went to the Rainbow muffler place and had them add the resonator.
I asked about a true dual exhaust and they told me that would make it even louder. They also told me that it might even reduce the HP by decreasing the back pressure too much.
I don't really know if this is true or not since I have no mechanical aptitude whatsoever. So I just settled for the resonator. It made a world of difference, a lot more quiet in the car, BUT still has a good MELLOW sound. Thanks again, for all your input. Thrasher, let me know if you want those instructions for the DODGE BRA installation. George

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fellow Intrepid Owners,
I have been reading the exhaust pagers in earnest since I have joined this site. Let me see if I have it straight, You all are saying that a true dual is too loud, that you remove both of the rear-most mufflers or resonators, and add a flowmaster muffler with dual exhaust and a after-market resonator and that will give the Intrepid a resonable but still performance oriented sound. Unfortunately, here in Germany, no one and I mean no one can even understand what I am trying to do, let alone are they willing to do the work! Ugh!! I can't wait to leave here. On the bright side, how many places can you plug your car in the 120+ mph for miles and be completely legal? Any information and specifications you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Nice. only place a 'Trep R/T can really live is the good ol' Deutschland.

how do you know how fast traffic is really going with the speedo only reachin 120?

·
980 Posts
on side exhaust legality, it would be up to individual state to determine, there were and are cars that have side exhaust before the rear wheels from the factory. And I do not beleive any state has the power to keep them off the road, however modifying an existing vehicle would be different.And yes I agree with most, side exhaust only on 2 doors not four doors.Would love to hear a sound clip of true dual exhaust, good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts