DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of gauge pillars avaliable for the Intrepids? There was talk of making one for the RT which would fit the others but I can't seem to find them. If there's not any out there right now I'm gonna fiberglass something up. That's what we did for my buddies car. It came out all right.

Let me know

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Guage pillars are simply a housing made to hold a guage on your windshield pillar. This way you can mount one or two guages on the plastic to the far left of your windshield. Being an EX-ford guy I have seen them in numerous Mustangs and SHO's.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all,

My friend and I are looking into making it for the Intrepid. We're looking into making a mold and possibly selling them. Would anyone be interested in buying them? Let me know.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I saw em in a Dodge Ram, err...wait..maybe those were tweeters in the pillars, not gauges. nevermind.

but I have seen those gauges on the pillars, I dunno, I'm kinda mixed on that.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
if i could find a good place to mount gauges i would work with some haste to install a vacuum gauge, an ammeter (both easy) and then try to slide in an oil pressure gauge. being a raised die-hard truck guy i miss all the "guy" instruments that come with the territory. it's better to see a trend and shut down before the idiot light comes on. if it saves you a dead battery or a vacuum leak once, not to mention an oil system malfunction, all the gauges are paid for right there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I saw an Eclipse with the gauge pillar, it looked VERY nice, are the gauges something a shadetree mechanic like myself can hook up?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the vacuum is easy, you just find a vacuum hose and buy a cheap T connector and run a line inside to the gauge. the ammeter can't be very hard, i'm sure someone that's good with electrical stuff could explain it better than i could. the oil pressure is going to be more difficult, i haven't quite figured out where or how to install it. i wish someone with more knowledge could do the mod and then tell the rest of us how.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
joekd, are you talking about putting a T connector on the area where the sending unit is for the low-pressure light? what type of line do you have to run to the gauge in that instance?

warlord, the whole point of gauges is to learn what normal indications are and then be able to spot problems based on that. for instance, if you see that your ammeter is showing a constant discharge, you probably need to take your alternator off and have it benched. or, if your oil pressure is low, it could be an indication of serious problems. just like the stock temp gauge...you know what's normal, if you see it suddenly going up then you will go and shut the car down and do some investigation, right? right.

and the point of a vacuum gauge is twofold. 1 you can tell if you have a vacuum system problem, aka LEAK. 2 you can measure fuel economy with it. numbers are different for different cars, but i recall someone here having done a vac gauge with a 2nd gen trep and said if you can keep it above 15psi then you are getting best economy.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the key is to drive it across a wide variety of speeds and throttle position so you can tell exactly what high and low tolerances are. like for instance if one day you were cruising near the century mark and your oil pressure was 5psi you'd want to shut down in a hurry... ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts