DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day my step son tells me it seems like the half shafts are going. So I take the car for a drive and I feel nothing. He says it clicks when he is turning, again I hear nothing. So maybe I'm old and can't hear as well anymore. What are sure signs the halfshaft is going? Can you tell my trying to move them by hand or rotate the wheels?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, looked at them and they look just fine, no grease or tears in the boots. I jacked it up and checked the bearings and they were fine. Pulled the wheels and checked the hallfshafts visually and they looked fine to. I grabbed hold of them to see if there was a ton of play and they seemed ok there too.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what are the symptoms I should look for while driving?

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
a shake under acceleration, and it quits when you let off the gas,, sure sign inner joints are bad,, wait,, let me rephrase that,, under MOST cases it means inner joints,
a hard turn to the left or right and a click, click, type noise means outter joints

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
on a first gen right?
mine is clicking when i turn mildy sharp to the left, and shakes when i accelerate from about 65-up.
how would i check/replace? i have no idea what halfshafts are or how to replace them

·
Registered
520 Posts
Stops

Turn it hard to the stops in either direction and then drive. If you hear grinding or clicking, it's time to replace them. I just had mine done, and not only did it stop the noise it tightened up the front end considerably. Next: timing belt.

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
half shaft is the drive axle,, clicking to the left usually means the right joint, its under the front of the car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts