DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched a bit could not really find an answer to this. On my '02 Special, one of my TPMS sensors is dead and another has been intermittent lately. I tried training and the one is dead for sure. So from reading, I gather it is best to replace all five at one time. Now does it matter if I get OEM or some aftermarket brand? Will they work as well and the same? AND...will aftermarket ones communicate correctly with my EVIC?!! I do not want to get 5 new sensors just to find that only OEM communicate with the EVIC. Any help is, as always, much Appreciated!! :)

·
Premium Member
17,339 Posts
The issue is battery condition. Have read recently of batteries crapping out after a short time (like a year) on some aftermarket brands. You're totally vulnerable to that on ones from ebay, and not sure how much you could trust Dorman on that aspect either.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
have had good luck with the ones from napa,, there not the dorman brand, but, made by Seamans, who also makes the OE ones, there like 55 apiece

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue is battery condition. Have read recently of batteries crapping out after a short time (like a year) on some aftermarket brands. You're totally vulnerable to that on ones from ebay, and not sure how much you could trust Dorman on that aspect either.
Yeah I wondered about the batteries as well.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have had good luck with the ones from napa,, there not the dorman brand, but, made by Seamans, who also makes the OE ones, there like 55 apiece
Ok, good to know, thank you. Price is more steep than I would like to pay, but we will see.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about communicating with EVIC...do they all communicate the same?

·
Woober Goobers!
51,030 Posts
I'd go with the NAPA OEM type. Considering you got almost 10 years of service out of the original sensors hopefully the replacements would last at least 5 years.

I've had a Dorman sensor crap out after 60 days and I've got a 2 Dormans in now with 6 months on them. I just had another OEM sensor fail in the Special and I'll be using the NAPA one this time.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
I swaped out the evic in mine so it dont drive me nuts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I swaped out the evic in mine so it dont drive me nuts
Does this mean you are saying that any other than OEM will NOT communicate with EVIC??

·
Woober Goobers!
51,030 Posts
He means he swapped out his EVIC for a non-TPMS model so he wouldn't get the nag screens/chime for bad TPMS sensors. It wouldn't matter if he had any TPMS sensors on his car just like a plain EVIC.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
rons right,, things are kinda tight for me right now with taking in my grand kids,, so, untill i can get a few bucks ahead again,, evic swap

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
but,, like i said we have had excellent results with the ones from Napa

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
in fact,, got one in the wifes pacifica,

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
I got mine from Advanced Auto, they have to order them, takes about 2 days.
These are the numbers for the ones from out car
Schrader number is SB-20028
OEM #'s might be
52088990AC
MN103033
4250A225
5096808AA

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He means he swapped out his EVIC for a non-TPMS model so he wouldn't get the nag screens/chime for bad TPMS sensors. It wouldn't matter if he had any TPMS sensors on his car just like a plain EVIC.
I understood this, BUT did not understand if he was saying he did this swap because if he didn't the EVIC would go off all the time due to the aftermarket ones not communicating, or due to just not liking the TPMS. I happen to like the TPMS though I also check manually and I will be keeping the EVIC and sensors in operation. My biggest question continues to be...Will aftermarket sensors communicate with the factory EVIC? Someone out there must know if this is a yes or a no??? :/

·
Woober Goobers!
51,030 Posts
The aftermarkets work. He swapped his EVIC out because he had a bad TPMS and didn't want to replace it at the time. If you have one bad TPMS the EVIC will give you a constant nag and you will get that every time you start the car.

If you're a cheap bastard..get the Dormans. If you're semi-cheap get the NAPA sensors. If your flush with money get the OEM from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The aftermarkets work. He swapped his EVIC out because he had a bad TPMS and didn't want to replace it at the time. If you have one bad TPMS the EVIC will give you a constant nag and you will get that every time you start the car.

If you're a cheap bastard..get the Dormans. If you're semi-cheap get the NAPA sensors. If your flush with money get the OEM from the dealer.
He has since covered WHY he removed it and that was clear. What had still not been directly answered is if aftermarket ones would communicate with EVIC the same as OEM. I understand the constant nag...hence WHY I started this thread...I am looking to replace the bad sensor and POSSIBLY all of them at once. How I move forward would depend on a few things such as cost, but my largest question was about communication. So...when you say, "The aftermarkets work", I am taking that to mean that, yes they will properly communicate with EVIC. Thank you finally for having this answer for me, much appreciated. I am a student but also like to do things right so I will be checking out the NAPA sensors as well as OEM to compare prices...now that I have been told that the NAPA ones WILL communicate. Thanks again! :)

·
Woober Goobers!
51,030 Posts
All the aftermarket sensors work. They communicate fine with your current EVIC.

The Dormans work.. I have them on my 2002 Special on two wheels. The longevity is questionable. They are available just about anywhere. Autozone, etc. Most likely these are the sensors that tire shops will try to sell you at an inflated price...$100+ ea. It's a crap shoot for how long they'll last.

The sensors Tom was talking about (DrDodge) are from NAPA. Same manufacturer that produces the OEM TPMS just cheaper. Identical in every way but don't carry the Dealer price tag. Somewhat of a discount. Will probably last as long as OEM.

You got almost 10 years of service from the OEM sensors that came on the car. How much are you willing to spend to get the same lifetime? $35 ea for Dorman...$63 ea for NAPA or $90+ ea for OEM? You say you are a student and on a budget....how about buying a standard EVIC and not worry about TPMS? That's an option. Check your tire pressures manually like everyone else.

I guarantee the Dormans won't come close to the lifetime of an OEM sensor. The NAPA sensors would be the best compromise IMO. IT's all up to how much money you have and what you'r willing to put up with. If you're going to keep the car...NAPA or OEM. If it's a quick fix...then Dorman. Or swap out the EVIC for Non-TPMS.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All the aftermarket sensors work. They communicate fine with your current EVIC.

The Dormans work.. I have them on my 2002 Special on two wheels. The longevity is questionable. They are available just about anywhere. Autozone, etc. Most likely these are the sensors that tire shops will try to sell you at an inflated price...$100+ ea. It's a crap shoot for how long they'll last.

The sensors Tom was talking about (DrDodge) are from NAPA. Same manufacturer that produces the OEM TPMS just cheaper. Identical in every way but don't carry the Dealer price tag. Somewhat of a discount. Will probably last as long as OEM.

You got almost 10 years of service from the OEM sensors that came on the car. How much are you willing to spend to get the same lifetime? $35 ea for Dorman...$63 ea for NAPA or $90+ ea for OEM? You say you are a student and on a budget....how about buying a standard EVIC and not worry about TPMS? That's an option. Check your tire pressures manually like everyone else.

I guarantee the Dormans won't come close to the lifetime of an OEM sensor. The NAPA sensors would be the best compromise IMO. IT's all up to how much money you have and what you'r willing to put up with. If you're going to keep the car...NAPA or OEM. If it's a quick fix...then Dorman. Or swap out the EVIC for Non-TPMS.

Now THAT was the type of complete and thorough answer I was looking for!! Haha! Thank you and thank you to others that answered. :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
finally got your answer

-though it took me to the end of this thread to finally figure out what TPMS meant....hehe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts