DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about my question in the subject line because I have a story to tell that other posters here may find interesting.

My wife (then girlfriend) bought a new 1995 Intrepid after graduating from college. The car had the 3.3L engine and was forest green in color.

We got married two years later and that started a period of several years where we both had 90 mile round trip commutes in opposite directions. The miles piled up quickly on the Intrepid but fortunately gas was cheap at that time and I was capable of doing all the basic maintenance like oil changes and brake pads.

We moved to a different city in a different state in 2006. After many years of those long commutes, the car had 340,000 miles! Other than the obvious wear items, the only thing I had ever done to it was to replace the AC compressor.

Shortly after the move, I took the car into a local Dodge dealer to do a mandatory state inspection and when they saw the miles they started asking questions. I told them that my wife was the original owner and the engine and transmission had never been touched. I don't think they believed me.

A few months later we decided to get something with less miles. My neighbor at the time was a little down on his luck and didn't have a working car. When he saw that I had a different vehicle, he offered to buy the Intrepid. My wife was mortified about the thought of selling a vehicle with that many miles to a neighbor, so we gifted it to him! We moved a few months later, but I ran into my old neighbor in about 2011. He said the car was still going strong and had just over 400K miles! I'm not sure what became of the car after that.

After having such great luck with the '95 Intrepid I naturally replaced it with a newer one. I bought a 2002 SE with the dreaded 2.7L in it. It had about 60,000 miles. I should have done more research prior to buying, but the seller was an older gentlemen and he told me to always use synthetic oil in that vehicle and following his advice likely saved me from trouble.

I never had engine trouble with the 2002 model, but I did replace the transmission twice, it had a few different AC issues and I had to replace that coolant bleeder housing twice, which was not a fun job. At 218,000 miles the oil light was starting to flicker at warm idle and it needed $1K in repairs to fix the AC so I sold it in 2014 for $1200. Considering that I paid $4800 when I bought it in 2006 I think I got my use out of it, despite the problems.

Between my wife and I, that was 19 straight years of owning two different Intrepids with a total of over 500,000 miles put on them. Has anyone else come close to this?

·
Premium Member
17,026 Posts
Good to hear of your experience. It shows what you can do with good maintenance and care (and maybe a little luck of no bad accidents, careless catastrophic maintenance mistake, or some otherwise unexplainable catastrophic major component failure).

I have not owned a 1st gen, but did have a '98 (3.2) and a '99 (2.7) Concorde. The engine in the '98 broke a timing belt 5k shy of it's second change at 195k miles. The '99 had about 285k and some body damage on it at the time, so I swapped its 2.7 into the recently-painted '98 body, and scrapped the '98 3.2 engine and '99 body. Drove the '98 body/'99 engine and sold it last year with probably 295k on the 2.7 engine still running like new. Between the two sets of cars and engines they had about 490k on them, about 335k of which was put on them by me and my wife - both were bought used (the 2 cars, not my wife). Never had any transmission trouble on either car. On the 2.7, did one timing chain, water pump, and oil pump change as routine maintenance, and replaced the valve stem seals once at the same time. It used very close to no oil after that. On the 3.2 engine, one timing belt/water pump change, one unexplained total loss of oil pressure for two days, recovered on its own, unknown damage from that, but ran OK after that - not sure if something related to that caused the t-belt to break a couple of years later, but that's one reason I scrapped-rather-than-repaired that engine when the belt broke - didn't quite trust it to put the time and money into it, and had the other damaged body, so the 1-body 1-engine scrapping and swapping made sense.

Their used to be a guy, Hank, who posted as mnitetrain, who had I think a 300M that he put probably over 500k on with 3 or so transmissions and a couple of engines. Not sure what miles Dan and Ron and Brandon and Harvey have put on their LHs. You and I are not unique or the record holders, but are certainly in the LH high-miles club.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The body of my 99 is sitting at 389,000kms(241,000miles). Third engine, second transmission (which is currently being swapped in). My next mile stone will be 402,336kms which is 250,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Mine has just under 160,000 miles on the original 3.5L engine and transmission. It was built in August of 95 as a 96 model. I might put 1,000 miles a year on it, because I don't drive much. At that rate it will probably last until I can't buy gasoline anymore. No rust anywhere, being I live in Florida. I've owned it for 13 years. When I got it, it was leaking oil everywhere. A/C system has been pretty much replaced, as well as suspension parts. The body control module went bad a couple of years ago. Runs great and has plenty of power.

I have a 2008 300 3.5L with a little over 6,000 miles. It still looks new. Both are garaged. I think I actually like the Concorde better. It has a lower center of gravity and is easier to see outside. Not as boxy. It's weird to see them side by side and the 300 is about 6" taller.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear of your experience. It shows what you can do with good maintenance and care (and maybe a little luck of no bad accidents, careless catastrophic maintenance mistake, or some otherwise unexplainable catastrophic major component failure).

I have not owned a 1st gen, but did have a '98 (3.2) and a '99 (2.7) Concorde. The engine in the '98 broke a timing belt 5k shy of it's second change at 195k miles. The '99 had about 285k and some body damage on it at the time, so I swapped its 2.7 into the recently-painted '98 body, and scrapped the '98 3.2 engine and '99 body. Drove the '98 body/'99 engine and sold it last year with probably 295k on the 2.7 engine still running like new. Between the two sets of cars and engines they had about 490k on them, about 335k of which was put on them by me and my wife - both were bought used (the 2 cars, not my wife). Never had any transmission trouble on either car. On the 2.7, did one timing chain, water pump, and oil pump change as routine maintenance, and replaced the valve stem seals once at the same time. It used very close to no oil after that. On the 3.2 engine, one timing belt/water pump change, one unexplained total loss of oil pressure for two days, recovered on its own, unknown damage from that, but ran OK after that - not sure if something related to that caused the t-belt to break a couple of years later, but that's one reason I scrapped-rather-than-repaired that engine when the belt broke - didn't quite trust it to put the time and money into it, and had the other damaged body, so the 1-body 1-engine scrapping and swapping made sense.

Their used to be a guy, Hank, who posted as mnitetrain, who had I think a 300M that he put probably over 500k on with 3 or so transmissions and a couple of engines. Not sure what miles Dan and Ron and Brandon and Harvey have put on their LHs. You and I are not unique or the record holders, but are certainly in the LH high-miles club.
Thanks for the info. I figured there were more high mileage stories out there so it's very interesting to hear these things. It seems both generations of the Intrepid were maligned for their lack of reliability so it's almost a badge of honor to have put so many miles on them! If we were talking about a Camry or an Accord, it wouldn't be that surprising to hear about the instances of very high mileage.

Obviously my experience was limited to one car in each generation, but I felt the '95 was a much better put together vehicle than the '02. In addition to the transmission and AC issues that I described, the '02 also had some paint defects and the fit and finish in the interior wasn't nearly as good as the older model. It seems like Chrysler cut more corners as time went on with the Intrepid.

I'm amazed that you were able to get that many miles out of the 2.7L engine, but it sounds like you did all of the maintenance to keep it going strong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The body of my 99 is sitting at 389,000kms(241,000miles). Third engine, second transmission (which is currently being swapped in). My next mile stone will be 402,336kms which is 250,000 miles.
Since you have done three engines and now two transmissions, did you ever consider moving on from the car? I'm curious to hear why you stick with the vehicle when you have had so many major issues.

On my '02 Intrepid both times the transmission went out I was able to find a low mileage unit at a salvage yard and I had a good mechanic that I trust do the work at a reasonable rate. I think it cost me about $700 total each time I did the replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine has just under 160,000 miles on the original 3.5L engine and transmission. It was built in August of 95 as a 96 model. I might put 1,000 miles a year on it, because I don't drive much. At that rate it will probably last until I can't buy gasoline anymore. No rust anywhere, being I live in Florida. I've owned it for 13 years. When I got it, it was leaking oil everywhere. A/C system has been pretty much replaced, as well as suspension parts. The body control module went bad a couple of years ago. Runs great and has plenty of power.

I have a 2008 300 3.5L with a little over 6,000 miles. It still looks new. Both are garaged. I think I actually like the Concorde better. It has a lower center of gravity and is easier to see outside. Not as boxy. It's weird to see them side by side and the 300 is about 6" taller.
That is amazingly low mileage, especially on the 2008 300! I'm curious to know why you keep both of these cars when you drive so little.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,623 Posts

I have only 165K on the 300m Special Bill.

Reactions: peva

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
That is amazingly low mileage, especially on the 2008 300! I'm curious to know why you keep both of these cars when you drive so little.
Too attached to them I guess. I used to work from home and now I'm retired. The Concorde is long and white and reminds me of the 1968 white Chrysler Newport convertible I had years ago. That was a special, fun car and a lot of good memories. With the Concorde, I like having the oldest car in the parking lot. The 300 is still like having a new car and it's going to be trouble free for a long time at the rate I drive it.

Talk about Chrysler getting cheap over the years, the 300 came with leather-trimmed seats. That means only the center section is leather and the side bolsters are vinyl. That's about as cheap as they could get. The Concorde has a lot more leather.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Since you have done three engines and now two transmissions, did you ever consider moving on from the car? I'm curious to hear why you stick with the vehicle when you have had so many major issues.

On my '02 Intrepid both times the transmission went out I was able to find a low mileage unit at a salvage yard and I had a good mechanic that I trust do the work at a reasonable rate. I think it cost me about $700 total each time I did the replacement.
The first replacement engine I paid about $2000 total (parts car, towing parts car, installation) and by the second time I needed to replace the engine I was ready to swap up to a 3.5 and do the work myself and started buying parts cars in the sub $500 range (total loss vehicles). Same with this transmission I'm doing now, it came from one of the pair of parts cars I paid $400 for. My transmission didn't suffer a catastrophic failure, it was starting to slip a bit from age and usage, so we pulled it and had planned to rebuild it myself, then life happened and my car had sat in the shop for 2 years and I want to drive it and enjoy it so I pulled the transmission to do a quick once over and fresh seals, bearing on it and the plan is to put it behind the high mileage engine.

The car is also fairly modified over my 12 year tenure of owning it so I'll keep it going as long as I am to. I also have 4 other vehicles in my fleet, everything fits a different taste for what I enjoy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 97 Concorde LX with about 270k miles. My wife and I bought it used (but like brand new) at 72k in 2003. It was a daily driver til last fall when I got a newer car. I’m keeping the Concorde (which my kids have named Connie) as an extra/winter vehicle. I don’t want to call her a beater but she sure looks the part, with rust-through from the rockers to the trunk, hood, and doors. I hit a deer last fall which smashed in the front passenger door and fender.
The 3.5L engine is original and runs like a champ. I love the power this car still has. I’ve done all the maintenance and repairs myself, including timing belt, water pump, rear timing cover gaskets, lower intake gaskets, IAC motor, EGR valve and solenoid, AC compressor, subframe bushings, all steering and front suspension bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends, and a full set of struts, along with your regular wear parts like brakes, belts, alternator, fuel pump, brake lines, etc.
The tranny went at 108k when something broke loose internally and locked the trans up while driving in reverse. Got a rebuilt unit under extended warranty thru the dealer.
Other than that, this has been a pretty amazing car over the last 17 years, and I don’t intend on parting with it any time soon. When people ask me why I keep the car, I tell them it’s so solid I would drive it to California tomorrow if I had to. And I live in Michigan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts