DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What oil pressure are you guys that have an oil pressure gauge installed seeing. At idle and at speed ?

I am planning on installing an oil accumulator to prelube the engine. I can order one with different psi setting to suite my engine. Here is what the service manual says :
CAUTION: If oil pressure is 0 at idle, Do Not Run
engine at 3000 RPM
(4) Oil Pressure (engine at operating temperature):
Curb Idle 34.5 kPa (5 psi) minimum 3000 RPM
300–724 kPa (45–105 psi).

5 psi at idle ???. The accumulator would be discharging everytime I idle so it would discharge right before I shut down defeating the purpose of using it to prelube.

What oil pressure is the engine typically experiencing at idle?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
There are no 3 liter engines in the LH2 platform
yes it is possible to have a 500 rpm idle oil pressure of 5psi when the oil is nice and hot.
Do those oil systems have a solenoid that closes in the pre-pressurized oil?
If so, you could rev up the engine to the rev limiter in park (just under 4000) cut the ignition, so the solenoid closes and captures pressurized oil.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By 3 liter I meant to include both the 3.2 and 3.5 liter engines in the 2nd gens

The accumulator is meant to store pressurized oil for prelubing and oil starvation conditions like when the oil sloshes away from the pickup. I'll never likely see the starvation condition, but I would like the prelubing benefit.

I would be fine with a manual valves, but I would forget to close it sometimes and lose its use for next startup. Besides that, it would dump its contents 1, 2, or 3 quarts into the pan leaving me with an overfill condition during next startup until the unit recharges. That would likely cause engine trouble.
Now they have an electric valve that opens with ignition on and closes with ignition off. That is where the oil pressure comes in - if I idle for a few seconds before shutting down or get stuck in rush hour, that 5 psi will cause the unit to discharge.

Sooo - anyone else thinking that I will truly see 5 psi during idle conditions ??
Who has installed one of the oil pressure gauges and watched it during idle, etc - JoeKD ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts