DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of knowledge on this site and I was kinda wondering where everyone came from car-wise. Fast can pretty much mean anything you want it to. Whether that be 1/4 mile, autocross or whatever. Please post 1/4 times if you got em lol.

Sadly, the fastest car I've ever owned is the Trep. :crying: Hey I'm 18 though.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Mine would be a battle between the Concorde, and my ol' Caprice.

The Concorde ran 16.1 @ 87mph

The Caprice is unknown but it shifts into 2nd at 60mph and 3rd at 90mph..... Never got it to the track though.

I'm only 17, owned 7 vehicles in the last two years....

·
Registered
253 Posts
Fastest ever owned is my Eagle Vision Tsi. When it was new with "V" rated tires, I made a run through Utah and Arizona at 120 MPH. It was a rush. It was very stable.

As a rental, I had a 5 series BMW in Germany; we did a continuous 230 KPH on the A8 Autobahn. I sure wish we had roads like that in the USA.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My Magnum makes 170 MPH and is hands down the best handling car I have had, My '72 Roadrunner with its 440 6 pack transplanted from a '69 GTX is the second fastest at 163
MPH (radar by NY state police in '77, don't ask), the second best handling was the Trep after its Eibach pro kit and the Maggnum wheels with 245/45-18 General Exclaim tires.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My fastest was in my '84 Pontiac Trans Am. 139mph in a 55mph zone while being chased. I was doing about 80 late for work one night and I met a county sherriff going the other way. I punched it figuring he was going catch me anyway and I just wanted to get at close to work as possible. Well the speedo only went to 85 so I had no idea how fast I was going. I met another squad parked at an intersection and I hit the brakes assuming I was gonna get spike stripped. I took off again after that cop did nothing and when I got into town another squad was parked in the road blocking it so I stopped and shut the car off. The original deputy chasing me caught up about a minute later. She was soooo pissed it was funny " WHY WERE YOU RUNNING !!!!" I just kept telling her I never seen her lights and I was speeding because I was late for work. The officer I met at an intersection said I was doing 139 when I hit the brakes and slowed down to 91 mph before taking off again. I got a 139 in a 55 and failure to yield to an emergency vehicle out of it. Fines totalled somewhere around $500 I think $490. Bad idea dumb move but I was 18 at the time and now I drive a family sedan governed at 107mph. (don't ask how I know that)

·
Registered
308 Posts
my summer car- 1981 z28 with a built 4 bolt main 350. Keeps up with my buddies 02 trans am just fine

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Fastest and quickest was 2 different cars but the same engine.

Quickest was a 70 Road Runner. 11.54 @ 118 in the quarter. Might have been more in it but I was young and stupid. Didn't know much about setting stuff up and it was only one pass due to lack of roll bar. NHRA rules 11.99 or quicker requires a roll bar.

Sold the car and put the engine in my daily driver. A 1979 Chrysler New Yorker. Thicker head gaskets to reduce the compression from 9.5 to 9.0:1. A smaller camshaft and a dual plane intake.

The New Yorker was not quick off the line because of a tight torque convertor and tall rear gears but it would still haul ass from a roll. Duking it out with a Ferrari 308 I had the 125mph speedometer swung past 125, past the trip odometer, almost back to Zero.

The Mustang I have now is not a quick or fast as those 2 cars but I've autocrossed it and road coursed it and it would easily beat those to cars if corners are involved.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
A 1993, err 1985, err um (?) BMW 533i with headers and duals... WOW... on a 5 speed, it would shift from 2nd to 3rd at 80... YIKES... and DAMN do I miss it... gloss black paint, red leather interior, trip computer, AC, 4 door... modded to remove the rear bumper, made it look SOOO much better. Sunroof...

damn... *eyes tear up*

I sold it for twice what I paid for it, and still have my winter tires from it mounted on winter rims... It was a 4 door, yes, but as a new father, it was NOT practicle...

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Fast is relitive , quick, top speed,or comfort all at the same time?

I had 2 1980 New Yorkers that i put lots and lots of miles on they were comfy,fast(again relitive) and would cruise at over 100mph for hours!

Great highway car!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Fast to me is acceleration and top speed. Doesn't mean it's good on the track, or the question would be "what is the best handling car", but the Intrepid is the only car I have had so far and.. Let's just say it's not fast enough haha. Anyone have the part number on the ungoverned PCM, 1st GEN? ;)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Fastest and quickest was 2 different cars but the same engine.

Quickest was a 70 Road Runner. 11.54 @ 118 in the quarter. Might have been more in it but I was young and stupid. Didn't know much about setting stuff up and it was only one pass due to lack of roll bar. NHRA rules 11.99 or quicker requires a roll bar.

Sold the car and put the engine in my daily driver. A 1979 Chrysler New Yorker. Thicker head gaskets to reduce the compression from 9.5 to 9.0:1. A smaller camshaft and a dual plane intake.

The New Yorker was not quick off the line because of a tight torque convertor and tall rear gears but it would still haul ass from a roll. Duking it out with a Ferrari 308 I had the 125mph speedometer swung past 125, past the trip odometer, almost back to Zero.

The Mustang I have now is not a quick or fast as those 2 cars but I've autocrossed it and road coursed it and it would easily beat those to cars if corners are involved.
You know the suspension is extremely shitty in the RR and New Yorker if you say a mustang handles better. haha :) Frankly, I'd rather have the Ferrari 308, which would eat all of the cars alive on the track. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Listening your your histories, mine is kinda boring, but I have two (perhaps) surprising entries. I never actually raced them or clocked them, but one was handling, and one was quickness. Both had the same engine - the 2.2L Chrysler 4 banger with the 5-speed tranny.

The '84 Dodge Shelby Charger (bought new in '83) was a great-handling car. Probably the best I have owned, but with the carburated engine (although HO), it just wasn't especially quick. I replaced this with a 1987 Shadow Turbo (bought new). Although it didn't handle quite as well as the Shelby, it was MUCH quicker. The tested numbers for the car were 0-50 in 5.5 sec. (0-60 in 7.7) and 16.0 for the standing 1/4 mile @ 85 MPH. When that turbo was engaged, it snapped your neck back! Not sure what the numbers are on my 3.2L 'Trep ES, but there's no way it can snap the neck like the Shadow Turbo. At under $10k, the Shadow was definitely cheap power!

In spite of the speed thing, I gotta say that my favorite car to own and drive in my 30+ years of doing so is my 'Trep. I'd love to have a BMW though ... maybe some day when my kids are out of college!?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Fast to me is acceleration and top speed. Doesn't mean it's good on the track, or the question would be "what is the best handling car", but the Intrepid is the only car I have had so far and.. Let's just say it's not fast enough haha. Anyone have the part number on the ungoverned PCM, 1st GEN? ;)
I have an ungoverned pcm and sold the Trep last week. Make an offer?

·
Registered
443 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Well for me its my other summer ride. My 1990 Ford Thunderbird Supercoupe. For all that don't know these cars they are sleeper cars when it comes to speed! Alot of my trans am buddies in ohio know these cars as pretty fast rides. The power for my ride coming from a 3.8 V6 supercharged 5spd. from the factory and like 300 something torq. at like 2,xxx rpms. I added a cam some valve/head work some rearend gears and some boost goodies as well and its the fastest ride I've owned soo far.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts