DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

this is a question for those people that have their manuals from their intrepid cars

i only have one question: what is the recommended gas for the intrepid in the manual?? 87, 89 or 93???

i dont have a manual thats why i ask this question.

i put 93 always, is that good or bad, or normal?? it never did any harm to the car, or any trouble so far, but i just want to know what the manufacturer says about that

i have an 2000 2.7 v6 intrepid

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have a 2001 Intrepid.....the recommended octane is 87. You will get no benefit from using the higher octane. Higher octane is recommended for cars with high compression ratios because the air fuel mixture is hotter in the cylinder due to the high compression and needs a higher "exploding point" (octane) so that it does not pre-ignite before the cylinder reaches TDC (top dead center)...whew!....hope that clears it up....

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
87 for the 2.7's FOR SURE. 87 for my 3.5, but for more HP they say I can use 89. Says somewhere that higher than 89 octane may actually decrease performance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i'll make a switch and see what will be the difference in the mileage

so far, with the 93 gas, i get 300+ miles on city (without going crazy) and 400+ miles on highway (cruise the whole time)

i'll have some results in the next week (today i will put new gas)

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I use 91+ in my car now. it just runs better with it.
(I have also had the Heads shaved.. so the compression ratio is a little higher)

·
Registered
689 Posts
If you're running the stock 2.7, there's probably no reason to use anything more than 87. I run 87 on my first-gen 3.5, and I've had no problems (although Chrysler recomends 89 for this engine, it only really needs it in really cold weather).

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
save your money and use the DC recommended 87 octane unless you have engine modifications that need the higher octane. Maybe run some 93 octane every ten tanks or so if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does anyone have any stories about octane booster? It may even be cheaper to get the additive every once in a while (like a night of expected racing) rather than fill up at premium all the time.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Anything I've read about anyone using an Octane Booster in a 'trep has been negative. No increased performance, if anything - it's possible to have such a high octane as to get the engine to retard the timing further.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Some of the 1st gen 3.5 owners have claimed success w/ octane boosters. I don't use em myself, but I do run with 91 octane most of the time.

edit: make that 93 octane, not 91... I filled up today and actually paid close attention for a change.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Some first gens? Oh... Interesting.

That makes me curious then.

I'm happy on 87 :)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I'd probably give the octane boosters a try, but I figure if I got an extra $5 to blow at Texaco, I'm probably gonna buy a 6-pack instead. :p

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Higher octane is not filtered better or have more cleaners it is simply has a better ability to resist detonation. So if you car is not detonating you don't need it.
Avengers reply holds much truth since higher octane is a slower burning fuel so why burn a slower burning fuel?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
oh man, i used octane booster like 5 times in a row, and got nothing at all

i even used it on highway and got the same mileage as normal gas, so it was just a waste of money. and on city it gave me the same mileage as well and no increase in horse power. (although the first time i used it, it cleaned come **** in the motor, so i did notice a change at first, but after that no change has been noticed, so if you never used it before it would be a good idea to use it ONCE)

on the bottle says that it cleans some **** in the engine, so you could use a bottle every like 6 months or so, just to clean up your motor and thats it

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a US 1st gen 3.5L and the manual recommends 89, which is what I use. I don't drive a hell of a lot, other than the weekend, so I don't mind the extra cents per gallon.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
You may experience a slight difference in mpg depending on what brand gas you use. Some of the cheaper brands mix in 10% ethenol. Pure gas costs a little more, but you get better mileage.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so far i think you are right, i will get less mileage with the cheaper gas

so far i have traveled 90 miles and the gas already is on the third line of the meter.....

so i think i'll stick with the 93 gas. (i always put gas on the same station)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts