DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna have to change my oil in a nother 300 miles, i was wondering what kind of oil filter i need, i plan on getting fram but need numbers or somthing.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
I know all treps take a purolator 4670,,,,, fram I never use,,,

·
Registered
223 Posts
read through this, will tell you alot about what filter you should or should not use.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
or u can use the oversized PH8A and it will take an even 6 quarts approx., and to all the fram haters, been usin em for years, dads been usin em for longer than ive been alive, with no problems

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
I use to use fram but I started to hear a dull nocking comming from the engine when I first start it up in the morning, and since I swiched to Bosch filter I have never heard that noise.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
wb6vpm said:
or u can use the oversized PH8A and it will take an even 6 quarts approx., and to all the fram haters, been usin em for years, dads been usin em for longer than ive been alive, with no problems
I also have been using Fram for years, never ever had a problem with them. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
A prefrence in filters is just like your choice in oil. All filters meet or exceed OEM specs
I use fram TG 8A, look at the filtering ratings on the box an decide. The Fram PH16 can be used but why not go with more capacity the Fram PH 8A or TG8A or NAPA 1515

·
Registered
72 Posts
Puroilator L30001 works well with many Chrysler engines, holds a full quart or oil to boot... Google it for tests. :smiley_ab

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Fram=Crap.

I'll never buy another fram again! They have cheap cardboard endcaps. I had one fall apart in my old 1994 3.0 Acclaim, it clogged the oil filter passage and caused the car to burn a ton of oil, have terrible oil pressure and burnt out the oil pump. Never fram, never again!

Puralator or Napa are the only filters I use

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Matt86 said:
Fram=Crap.

I'll never buy another fram again! They have cheap cardboard endcaps. I had one fall apart in my old 1994 3.0 Acclaim, it clogged the oil filter passage and caused the car to burn a ton of oil, have terrible oil pressure and burnt out the oil pump. Never fram, never again!

Puralator or Napa are the only filters I use

everybody has had their good/bad luck wtih specific filters, and i have never had a problem with the frams, sorry you havent. however, i must stand behind what has always been good to me, and that would be fram

·
9,861 Posts
I'm not going to waste much time dwelling on this, but don't buy Fram oil filters. Even though not everyone has had one fail, many have (a few on here as well). Why risk it? I've never heard a single horror story of a Puralator filter falling apart on a running engine.

Oversized oil filter list:
Amsoil SDF-15
Fram Extra Guard PH8A
Fram Tough Guard TG8A
Fram Double Guard DG8A
K&N HP-3001
Mobil 1 M1-301
Motorcraft Long Lasting FL-1A
NAPA 1515 Gold
NAPA 51515 Silver
Pennzoil PZ-1
PowerFlo SL30001
ProLine PPL-30001
Purolator Premium Plus L30001
Purolator Pure One PL30001
Quaker State QS8A
STP S-01
Wix 51515

Any place that sells oil filters should have a catalog of applications. Tell them you have a 1985 Ford Mustang 5.0L, and you should get the right size oversized oil filter.

Size difference of the 5.0 filter vs the stock size:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use puralotors all the way . I tried fram not too impressed. They have that sure grip crap on them that bubbles off. seems like the pure one filters are alot heavier than the fram filters when they are used up which means they filter more crap outta your engine. Just from my experience. I think the mobile 1 and the k&n filters are just over priced.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Any place that sells oil filters should have a catalog of applications. Tell them you have a 1985 Ford Mustang 5.0L, and you should get the right size oversized oil filter.
Why would i want a filter for an 85' ford mustang 5.0 on my 97' dodge intrepid 3.5??? That just dont make any sence, and my famliy has used fram sence i've been around and before that aswell so my dad will prolly get fram but i might shop around if me and my mother go and get it... I'll be buying the filter from Walmart, i'm sure they will have they're sh!tty machine book or a good old fassion flip threw the pages book. thankz for the help.

Also i'm gonna be running Valvoline Maxlife in my car till i get it, then i'll change to Valvoline Maxlife Senthetic(spl?).

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
OK, don't think of it as running a filter from a 5.0 Mustang - get one for a 1972 Road Runner 440! Same filter, though - Fram# PH8A. I've been using Wix since the late-80's when Fram made their filter too restrictive for the 2.5L engine. Here's a great Oil Filter Study if you're interested ...

·
9,861 Posts
It's an oversized filter size. It's a very generic size, and many cars use it (including anything with a 5.0L). It's about twice as tall, but has the same thread size and such as the stock size.

If you're still getting fram, these are the model numbers for the bigger filter:
Fram Extra Guard PH8A
Fram Tough Guard TG8A
Fram Double Guard DG8A

1 - 20 of 22 Posts