DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not to sure if I'd even consider buying a magnum I'll have to wait until i see one in person ,but if I do buy one I'd get the SXT w/the 3.5 because I don't need a hemi because one gas prices here in new england are very high and twothe cost..now the color I like the black but it probally would get all scratched up easily so maybe silver...who knows and it will have to be AWD RWD is pretty useless here in the north east...

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Actually, it is $4K over the SXT model. Its only available in the R/T model (which comes with all sorts of goodies on top of the SXT)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Well, being that the R/T is the ONLY model with the HEMI, the R/T is also the ONLY model with a Mercedes 5-speed automatic with Autostick. The SE and SXT use an Ultradrive 4-speed automatic.

I have seen this in person, sat in them, played around with them. The only thing I haven't done was drive one. Needless to say, I'm in love. The R/T is the only way to go for me. However, I'm holding out for the SRT-8. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Does anyone know for sure that the AWD 3.5 engine version will have the 5 speed auto? I would consider any engine (incl the 2.7) if it has the 5 sp auto behind it. Prefferably the 3.5 with RWD and traction control.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
none, they suck.
Why would one rule out the hemi, when it gets the same mileage as the 3.5.
Come on the Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7 has a five speed automatic and its 2.7 V6makes 185 hp and 184 ft-lbs

·
Registered
625 Posts
Do you think that the hemi's fuel economy might (I realize it has cylinder deactivation) be partially due to a strong non parasitic 5 speed automatic?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Probably due to a low stall speed torque converter, lockup in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. Also MB has continous torque converter clutch slip (up to 2000 rpm I think)

Here is a nice flash of the 5 speed automatic of the Subaru Legacy, Infiniti G35, Q45, M45, Titan, Qx56, pathfinder armada, 350Z, FXx5

http://www.subaru-global.com/lineup/legacy/legacy_special/
Click on Symmetric AWD
Then transmission
Then the 5 speed automatic pop-up

Edit: Overdrive sucks in terms of efficiency.
Got to love 4th gear 1:1 How many gear meshes? 0.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MikeW said:
none, they suck.
Why would one rule out the hemi, when it gets the same mileage as the 3.5.
Come on the Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7 has a five speed automatic and its 2.7 V6makes 185 hp and 184 ft-lbs
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the 3.5 and the hemi do not get the same gas mileage...I think w/ the hemi you are talking 13 mpg or something like that... the 3.5 gets 17 city, low 20's highway...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
from the Dodge site they state only the R/T will have the 5 spd maybe the awd will...the se weighs 3852,the sxt,3891 and the R/T 4120..so IMO there is no way the R/T w/ the hemi will get 17/23 or 18/25...I think when someone other than Chrysler tests these cars you'll see maybe just maybe the best w/ the hemi will be 17mpg.... hell my brother has a ram 1500 w/ a hemi and I know it weighs like 6000 lbs but still the best he gets is about 13mpg...

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The 1996 Chrevrolet Caprice wagon was 17/26, but it had even taller gearing 40 mph/1000 in top gear.
The smaller 4.3 V8 was only 18/26, not sure what gearing?

Does your brother use regular or mid-grade? 13 mpg on regular, maybe 14 mpg on mid-grade.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MikeW said:
The 1996 Chrevrolet Caprice wagon was 17/26, but it had even taller gearing 40 mph/1000 in top gear.
The smaller 4.3 V8 was only 18/26, not sure what gearing?

Does your brother use regular or mid-grade? 13 mpg on regular, maybe 14 mpg on mid-grade.
I think it said in the owners manual to use high grade fuel to get the best gas mileage and performance from the hemi....but I think he uses 87 octane he did use 94 when he first got it but paying $45 to fill it up was too much and he said he didnt get much better gas mileage w/ the higher octane..

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm going with the 2005 Ford Mustang GT. I don't like the Magnum and I'm kinda disappointed in Dodge. Where's all the muscle Dodge is known for....in a wagon?

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Having driven the 300M bodied test mule for the LX's I was impressed and now having driven a 300C Hemi I'm all the more impressed. You really have to drive one to feel the power, handling, stability that makes up this bad boy. I gurantee you'll be just as impressed as I was.
Am I trading in the Mtrepid, not just yet. I'm holding out for something sportier looking. If I had to choose one now, it would be the Black Magnum. :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts