DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2004 Dodge Intrepid SE that doesn’t have ABS fitted. The brakes work fine but since winter is approaching, I’d prefer to have ABS fitted. I know I’ll need an ABS module, ABS pump, and the light for The gauge cluster. Would I need wheel speed sensors as well for that?

Also, I’m aware that the ABS system and the Traction Control system are basically the same system so would I need to get TC modules and a trim piece with the button to turn off TC as well or can ABS work independently?

·
Woober Goobers!
51,551 Posts
You're Welcome!

·
Registered
1 Posts
JordanS is correct. It's a LOT of work. Why do you want to make the change over? You have so much to change including the ECM. Then you have to input your VIN into the new ECM. You will need a expensive scanner to do that. A basic everyday parts store scanner will not work. You need a PROGRAMABLE type scanner. But all the parts are at your local bone yard if you find a doner. That should not be difficult. Plan on the job start to finish taking awhile.

·
Registered
805 Posts
as said, biggest hurdle is still the wiring harness.
you'd need the dash wiring harnesses for the button and lights, and the whole body harness to get to the sensors and controller.
imagine engine and trans are the same.
it would mean stripping the donor car and your own to start.
if your doing a full on restoration it might be worth it.
otherwise, it's a monumental task just to add abs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JordanS is correct. It's a LOT of work. Why do you want to make the change over? You have so much to change including the ECM. Then you have to input your VIN into the new ECM. You will need a expensive scanner to do that. A basic everyday parts store scanner will not work. You need a PROGRAMABLE type scanner. But all the parts are at your local bone yard if you find a doner. That should not be difficult. Plan on the job start to finish taking awhile.
Ok. I think I’ll wait to do anything until spring. The warmer weather is better for looking for parts and working on cars anyway. Appreciate the knowledge!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as said, biggest hurdle is still the wiring harness.
you'd need the dash wiring harnesses for the button and lights, and the whole body harness to get to the sensors and controller.
imagine engine and trans are the same.
it would mean stripping the donor car and your own to start.
if your doing a full on restoration it might be worth it.
otherwise, it's a monumental task just to add abs.
Yea ok. Thanks for this! I think it won’t be worth it especially since I need a whole new ECM to make it work. I don’t think it would be worth the time. Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
805 Posts
ecm is the easy part. take it to the deakler and a few hundred at most and it'll be matched.
stripping a car to remove a harness and then stripping your own car to install it is the hard part.
you'd get the ecm hopefully while getting the harness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts