DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I need to change my shocks.
From sitting a while, they are shot.
I wanted some Bilstein but sadly, there is none for our Intrepid.

I m looking for monotube gas shock. I prefer them over twin tube gas (firmer) only Monroe does them, or GSP (but dont know that brand)

Any input ?
Also, any kit you recommend or part for the top assembly for the shocks ?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,468 Posts
KYB Strut-Plus seems to be the only decent option left for strut assemblies. Monroe should be avoided at all costs.

You can't even get the original strut cartridges for the R/T or 300m Special to rebuild. They were discontinued long ago. Here's the listings from RockAuto for KYB.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know for Monroe.
Thank you for the listing.
Sad that the choice is so poor.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,468 Posts
The KYB Strut-Plus are going on my 2002 300M Special.

·
Registered
727 Posts
i found NOS struts on ebay. ive read the only difference between the sport and touring suspension is the veriable springs on the special-R/T

·
Registered
16 Posts
i found NOS struts on ebay. ive read the only difference between the sport and touring suspension is the veriable springs on the special-R/T
just a note, beware “old stock” - I bought a pair of KYB “30 day close out” Rock Auto, and one leaked all the oil out within a couple months. I replaced it with a super Cheapo strut, and honestly you can’t tell the difference. Any new strut is better than the worn ones you remove. Also, buy the KYB upper and lower rubber spring rests, as your old ones will probably disintegrate in your hands. As I also have an R/T, I wanted to re- use the original spring, otherwise buying the whole KYB package is probably the best route, but beware the “30 day close out” unless the price is right!

·
Registered
10 Posts
just a note, beware “old stock” - I bought a pair of KYB “30 day close out” Rock Auto, and one leaked all the oil out within a couple months.
Thank you! I noticed they had them discounted on RockAuto last week and was considering them... not anymore.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I've had the KYB-G2 struts on my 2000 R/T for a couple years now, they're working great for me. I am still amazed at how well my car handles. I don't know what the worry about being a close-out is all about. It's not like they go stale, or something. I think you just got a bad one.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,468 Posts
I've had the KYB-G2 struts on my 2000 R/T for a couple years now, they're working great for me. I am still amazed at how well my car handles. I don't know what the worry about being a close-out is all about. It's not like they go stale, or something. I think you just got a bad one.

Agreed. I've purchased the KYB G2 strut cartridges myself and resold them. No complaints from the buyer.

The KYB QuickStrut are the best option for someone just wanting to replace it all. No spring compressor needed nor any other parts like bearings, spring seats, etc. You won't find Quickstruts on closeout ever though!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for not giving feedback earlier.
Went the KYB route, it does the trick, much better especially coming from shot shocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts