DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have no idea where to look. I just scored a pretty good job for myself, and i already have a bunch saved up.

I know i was looking into a vehicle for trailering cars, which might be what i go with.

I'm just not sure to stick with dodge or not, the intrepid was the first chrysler the family has ever owned, and it's sure to stick around for awhile.

I know you are gonna need some details.

My '94 lincoln is prolly gonna get traded in, which sucks, cause i love it, but in all honesty it just doesn't work for my every day needs.

I'm looking to spend a total of 20,000$ tops, and i'm not looking to buy anything new, as i feel used cars can be just as good. I know that this thread will prolly bring up a million and one different things to buy, but that's kind of what i'm looking for, different things to research. So thanks for any suggestions, lemme know if you need more info, but i'm thinking i'm gonna go with a truck. But is a big ass truck applicable for everyday driving and use.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Since you're looking to trailer your baby, I'd go with a Dakota. It's probably got enough towing capacity to tow the trep, you can get extended or quad cabs for less than $20,000 used all day. V-6 or V-8 power 4x4 and 4x2, very broad spectrum of choice. My step father has a 2001 dakota sport and he loves it, great trucks, decent ride, even the 6 has decent power, but the 8 would probably be best for towing.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
My $0.02 is a 300M or a Dakota.........I find other trucks too much like "work" trucks.........and I don't think a S10 or Sonoma should ever be tortured into actually having to tow something :p

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I agree with derek and say go with the dakota. It is in your price range, will give you the towing power you need, and they make a bunch of upgrades to mod that sucker out.

I can picture it now, paint the truck the same color as the car and show it off as a pair when you take your trep to shows:devil:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I think he is still going to drive it, but (1) a good winter vehicle is always good especially when he put all that money with a new paint job, body kit, and suspension and (2) it would be good to trailer it to shows that are farther away and keep the miles off of it. I drove 2600 miles round trip to go to the int meet and I wouldn't want to do that everytime I wanted to go to a big show.

·
Registered
9 Posts
99+ Chevy Silverado or GMC Sierra. Super reliable with endless aftermarket. Tons of factory toys (from Escalade) will work in them too if you're into gadgets.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
03SXTgangsta said:
Oh god...please tell me your not turning your ride into a trailer queen...if you didnt drive it the show it shouldnt count

what crash said
trailer queen yes, because i wont' stick that paint job on the highway at 65mph with air ride

but closer shows i can still drive it

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Nothing wrong with having a trailer queen!! I had 2 of them at one time. Only problem was that my hauler could only carry one of them at a time! :( But, it saved a lot on entrance fees! :)

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
GnatGoSplat said:
99+ Chevy Silverado or GMC Sierra. Super reliable with endless aftermarket. Tons of factory toys (from Escalade) will work in them too if you're into gadgets.
I wouldn't call one of those reliable at all.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Intrepidatious said:
I'll trade you my Neon for your Trep....even Steven. :D

[sarcasm] ya, i'll get right on that [/sarcasm] :D:D:D:D:D

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Your towing a 3500+lb vehicle and a trailer that is gonna add a few hundred pounds as well.

A Dakota might be able to handle the weight, but you'll hate how slow it is and how it'll drink gas, especially on long hauls.

Look for a diesel. Powerstroke or Cummins. You can find tons for around the price you mentioned and they will last a hell of a lot longer than a gas tow rig will, and they'll do a better job.

Plus any power mods you do to a diesel increases gas mileage. :devil:

This truck would be perfect, and it is only 16 miles from Niagara Falls, NY!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=145967776&dealer_id=1365605&car_year=1999&make=FORD&distance=25&max_price=20000&model=F250&advcd_on=n&end_year=2005&min_price=&address=14301&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1997&color=&cardist=16

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ya your right, which is what i'm seriously considering , but i just dont' know if i can get away with a ford f-250 as an everyday all the time, it's what i always drive everywhere vehicle

·
Registered
157 Posts
King Winky said:
That's the same truck i drive everday, thought mine has 130k miles. I'de say that's a little high on the price. If your thinking of going with a newer Ford may i suggest not getting a 99' model. I love mine don't get me wrong. They've made some very nice little changes here and there on the 00' and newer models that you will wish you had once you've had the truck a little while.

I've takin quite a few 1000 mile trips in my truck. Last week we took the trepid to NewOrleans , about 530 miles. Althought the gas milage was great and we had room for 4 adults and 1 child, being the one that did all the driving , my truck is more comfortable. But i'm a tall fella and i have more leg room in the truck.

I'm with the KIng on this one.

Not only towing but stoping all that weight. sure you'll have trailer brakes but trailer brakes lock up. You'll want the truck to do the stoping and the trailer brakes for helping slow down the trailer. Would you want to be in a small truck pulling that weight and have a skidding trailer pushing you. How many half ton and small trucks do you see that are tow truck ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
GnatGoSplat said:
I'd have to agree! Full Size-extended cab 4x4 with 40,000 miles of a 99 or 00 will put you right around 20k. Super trucks and are willing to pull around another car.

Dakota schmakota, if yer gonna buy a truck, buy a full sized ram, silverado, sierra..etc..

just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 23 Posts