DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres what happened:
I drove about 5 min on the freeway at about 70mph, get off, stop at first light and had my system polightly cranked as loud as possible ( :thefinger ), and suddenly the check enginelight pops on. nothing seemed to change after that. I turned off the music, went a few more blocks, and parked.
I have no idea what could have happened.

any theoies?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If it wasn't for the mileage on your car, I'd suspect O2 sensor. My Concorde has an intermittent oxygen sensor failure. Sometimes the light will come on and sometimes it doesn't. It seems to come on more often when my system is up loud.

Try the key on key off method to retrieve codes from the car, and post what numbers it reads off. I could help a little more that way.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can't i get my codes checked at a auto parts store for free?

/[Sent wirelessly via T-Mobile Motorola v360 ]\

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Yep, you can get them for free their, but you can save a trip and do it yourself this way:

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (MIL)

Cycle the ignition key to ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON within 5 seconds.

Count the number of times the MIL (check engine light) on the instrument panel flashes on and off. The number of flashes represents the trouble code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate the individual two digit trouble code.

An example of a flashed DTC is as follows:

Lamp flashes 4 times, pauses, and then flashes 6 more times. This indicates a DTC code of 46.

Lamp flashes 5 times, pauses, then flashes 5 more times. This indicates a DTC code of 55. A DTC of 55 will always be the last code to be displayed. This indicates the end of all stored codes.

Just tell us the code, and we'll help you out.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I'm assuming the light is still on?

If so, do the key on off trick to get the codes as strongt suggests and we can go from there.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
You might be able to find an autoparts store that has the equipment to read your codes if you are lucky. I tried around where I live and nobody can read codes for 95 and older OBD I systems except the dealership. Like I recommended, do the "key dance" as some call it and that should bring up a code to help narrow the problem down.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well now the light went off. so what is that supposed to mean? isn't something wrong?

/[Sent wirelessly via T-Mobile Motorola v360 ]\

·
9,861 Posts
The code should still be stored. Listen to the above posters and check your codes.

Turn the key forward 3 times, then start counting CEL blinks.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Yours sounds like it's doing exactly what mine has been doing for about a year now. My CEL will randomly come on and stay on till I shut the car off. If I start it right back up it won't be on. Sometimes on my 25 mile drive to school it won't come on, but like today on probabally a 5 mile drive it came on.

By running the self test (key on, key off) I was able to narrow it down to oxygen sensors, but I don't know which bank. The 94's only have two, so don't take it to the dealer, you'll pay the cost of an O2 sensor just to have it looked at. Once I get the money saved up, I'm gonna just replace both sensors and be done with it.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Friend,
you're just not listening. :smilie_st

Do the "key thing" and get any codes before you do anything else or spend any money.
Mine was doing the same thing as 94_concorde's (intermitent CEL, sometimes on or off comes and goes) and it was the egr solenoid going south (and before you ask-200 bucks to fix it).
How did I find out?
Key on/off trick.

It's free, it's easy, and it'll probably tell you exactly what you need to do.

If that's too difficult for you, you better get your car to a technician asap.

cheers

BJ:anon:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Regardless of mileage, sounds like an O2. If the motor runs same w/ or w/out the light on, sounds more like an O2. Most of the other sensors that illuminate the CEL either make it run bad (TPS, intake temp, etc) or cause it to not run at all (cam, crank, etc).

Boron-X

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
There is nothing mysterious about the light coming on. And then not coming back on at next start up.Different codes must meet different operating criteria before the 'puter checks for them, such as open or closed loop operation,hot or cold,rpm,time since start up. Certain codes turn the light on ,certain ones do not. if a code turns the light on, it should stay on until you turn of the engine. It won't come back on until what ever operating conditions are met after next start up and the fault occurs again. Any codes that have occured (wether they turn on the light or not) will be stored in the 'puter untill you reset the 'puter. Also the only thing resetting the 'puter does is clear the stored codes. If your light comes on at idle with your high powered aftermarket stereo just a bumpin' and rattling your body panels, then chances are you are drawing more power than your alternator can supply and you should get code 47.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Yeah, mine will come on and stores a code. When I turn the car off and then back on I have no light, at least temporarily. I can run the key on key off codes and I have been getting... 12, 21, 33, and 55. Don't worry about 12 or 55. 21 is an oxygen sensor and 33 is the AC compressor, I don't know why I'm getting that code but my AC works great! Dr5D, hope this helps you out!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts