DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car has developed a strange sound. its not all the time. its only when i accelerate from a dead stop or when im barely moving. its a rattling sound, almost like a clacking sound. i have no warning lights, the oil has just been changed and is at a the proper level. please help me out. thx

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
need to be more descriptive.
can you hear it when you are idling? top of the engine bottom?

maybe converters?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
greystr said:
my car has developed a strange sound. its not all the time. its only when i accelerate from a dead stop or when im barely moving. its a rattling sound, almost like a clacking sound. i have no warning lights, the oil has just been changed and is at a the proper level. please help me out. thx
I know exactly what you are talking about. My car has the same sound, only when starting from a dead stop and it sounds like it is coming from the front left wheel. It isn't the transmission going into gear, but something else. It is small but still a noticable clicking sound right?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the same mysterious sound like tapping on a hollow metal can. It seems to be coming from the front left tire but I had the CV Boots and brakes checked and everything seems to be fine. This problem is only apparent at speeds greater than 25mph and increases in rpms as you go faster but dimenishes at highway speeds. I also had the tires rotated so we can scratch that out. It is buggin the hell out of me.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just put the front end on jacks and tried to duplicate the problem at 35mph and no tapping sound?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I guess is the catalytic conv. mine is under warr. waiting to get worst but the rattle-dieseling keep the same decibels

·
Registered
638 Posts
I had a similar sound on my car. It turned out that the internal housing on my catalytic converter was cracked and just rattling around. The weird thing was that there was no sign of damage on the outside. :confused: I made sure to get it changed out ASAP because the last thing I wanted was for it to fail completely. :crazy:

·
Registered
217 Posts
If there was no evident sign from the outside how did you come to the conclusion it was the internal housing? is there a way to test or visually inspect it?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I couldn't find it. It was driving me nuts so I took it to a dealer and they diagnosed it. My service advisor took me to the work area and showed me where the sound was coming from while the car was on the lift. They pulled the CAT off and replaced it with another one and the sound disappeared. I gave the OK to finish up the repair. They asked my permission and opened up the CAT to see what happened. The housing was cracked and a rather large piece was free to move. They were just as confused as I was as to how it happened.

Heat maybe? :confused:

·
Registered
638 Posts
The repair was pricey (about $600) since I bought a Cat from them. Those suckers aren't cheap. If they do figure that it's the Cat then you'd be better off going with an aftermarket one. The OEM ones will kill you. They go for around $500-$600 for the 3.3L and $300-$400 for the 3.5L. I lucked out in that the people at the dealership know me. They gave it to me for around $450...if you can call that lucky. The price does include a new pipe from the Cat to the muffler though. It was gauged pretty deep in one section and beginning to corrode.

The price of a Cat might be different for you though. I don't know how much 2nd gen parts go for. :confused:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
bleh.. if you have 4 O2 sensors.. you *can't* go aftermarket on the front two cats....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts