DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently installed 4 Bridgestone Potenza G009's. They look like they have a really agressive tread pattern good for wet weather driving. However, I'm as sensitive as an ox when it comes to how my car tracks and drives and sounds. Plus, I don't have anything to compare the experience to as my other car is an SUV which handles like mud.

What tires do you guys use and do they REALLY make that much of a difference when cornering and driving?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
i have potanza g009's on my 16" rims and pirelli snow sports on my 18" rims and i think i like the potanzas more.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
I use Toyo Proxes TPT's
235-55VR17's

I love them!!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
bridgestone blizzak ws-50

Do Bridgestone Blizzak Tires Live up to Their Reputation?

The Tire Rack has been the largest single source of Blizzak studless winter tires in the United States since their introduction in 1993. We have tested them on ice and in the snow, as well as driven on them through South Bend, Indiana's "mild" and "wild" winters. We have found that no All-Season tire or other winter tire has matched the Blizzak's confidence-inspiring combination of deep snow, packed snow and ice traction.

What Makes Blizzak Winter Tires Special?

With the exception of Blizzak LM series winter tires, Blizzak and Winter Dueler (a Blizzak for light trucks) tires feature dual tread compounds consisting of outer tread cap and underlying base compounds. When viewed through a microscope, the outer Blizzak Multicell compound resembles the appearance of Swiss cheese because it contains millions of uniformly distributed microscopic pores that are constantly being exposed as the tread surface wears. In addition to providing thousands of miniature biting edges, these pores help wick away the thin layer of water that often develops on top of snow packed and icy roads, allowing the biting edges to better adhere to the surface for more traction. The underlying base compound is a standard winter tread compound.

How Long Will a Blizzak Winter Tire Last?

The Blizzak's Multicell tread compound comprises the top 55 percent of the tires' tread depth, with a standard winter tread compound comprising the remaining 45 percent. When Blizzaks are approximately 50 percent worn, their "snow platform" tread depth indicators "connect" selected shoulder tread blocks to indicate that the Multicell tread compound is almost worn out, and that the enhanced snow and ice performance is about to end.

We have personal experience on a wide range of vehicles from sports cars to SUVs. Our experience, and that of our customers, indicates that Blizzak winter tires will typically provide 12,000 to 15,000 miles of winter service before wearing out their Multicell tread compound. Therefore, Blizzaks are providing an estimated two to four winter seasons of wear from their Multicell tread compound for the driver who drives an average total of 15,000 miles per year (with 3,000 to 4,000 winter miles per year).

Blizzak winter tires are not recommended to be reinstalled when their tread depth has worn down to the "snow platform" tread depth indicators before the start of the winter season.

Can I Run Blizzak Tires Year Round?

As with any purpose-built winter tire, Blizzak tires should only be used during the winter season to maximize their life span. Drivers should switch to their All-Season or summer tires during the other seasons.

Drivers shouldn't run Blizzaks (or any other winter tire) too early before or too late after the winter's core of late November to early April. This approximate four-month period represents the ideal time for winter tire use in many parts of the United States.

Winter tires don't wear in the snow, only when there isn't any!

How Do They Handle on Dry and Wet Roads?

All winter tires require a break-in period of a few hundred miles to wear away the "mold release" applied during their manufacturing. The Bridgestone Blizzak is an extra deep treaded tire to provide enhanced deep snow traction and longer wear. So while Blizzak winter tires are not as responsive and won't handle like standard passenger or performance tires, they will provide acceptable traction and predictable handling.

Additionally, if handling is your goal The Tire Rack offers Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 snow tires that will provide more handling (but can not match the ice & snow traction of standard Blizzak tires).

What Makes the Blizzak LM-18, LM-22 and LM-25 Tires Different?

These studless winter tires are performance winter tires developed for use in Europe and around the world. In order to accommodate high-speed European driving, they trade some snow and ice traction for handling and high-speed capability by featuring a winter driving tread compound able to support its H-speed rating. The Blizzak LM-18 tires are for drivers of SUVs and the LM-22 and LM-25 tires are for the drivers of high performance sport cars, sport coupes and sport sedans. Although these tires feature a single winter tread compound, "snow platform" tread depth indicators are used to identify when the tire should be retired from winter service.

What Makes the Blizzak LM-50 RFT Tires Different?

Blizzak LM-50 RFT Run Flat studless winter tires are designed to provide continued mobility during winter driving and are only available in the 225/60R17 size for Toyota Sienna vans. While Blizzak LM-50 studless winter tires share the tread design of the Blizzak WS-50, they trade the Multicell compound for a more robust winter tread compound that can endure the additional stress and heat of being driven when flat for 50 miles at up to 55 miles per hour. Although these tires feature a single winter tread compound, "snow platform" tread depth indicators are used to identify when the tire should be retired from winter service.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
G009's,, ive put a lot of those on,, my personal thought on them is, well not good,
im just not impressed with them,, rotate the hell out of them, there prone to chopping,,, they do handle good ill say that,, i really like the old Potenza RE910,, but thats now sadly a discontuned unit,
Blizzacs,, one hell of a winter tire,
if you want handling, potenza Pole postion re010,, no millage warrinty but one hell of a tire
<<< a Bridgestone employee

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I've got WinterForce 225/60/16s on my steelies for winter. Great grip and traction in snow. My 18s have Continental ContiExtremeContact 245/45/18s on them...but they are about shot. Not sure what tires I'm gonna get on my 20s yet ;)

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Goodyear Ultra LS. I am not compleatly happy with thse tires. Thay do great in dry weather and in light rain but in hevy rain they suck. This is the second Set of Goodyears I had and am not happy with eather of them. I think I am going with Michelins next time.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
When I bought the trep it had nito premium touring nt-460's They were great. Righ tnow I am running chepies, Hankook mileage plus, But they actually are very impressive tires. 420 bucks all the way around and they have really good tread. They ride extra quiet as well.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
225 60 16 Eagle Response Edge. Its raing in FL right now pretty good. at 50mph i can take the wheel and go back and forth fast and the car dosnt slip what so ever. the ride is terriffic/ i will not be able ot downgrade after these bad boys..

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Just replaced my factorys with 4 - 225/60/16 Cooper MasterCraft Glacial II's yesterday. Just in time too, 6-8 inches of snow today with a Blizzard warning. The Coopers walked right through it all!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
My 01 LHS is wearing Goodyear TripleTreds and I like them much better than anything I've had before. Fantastic traction in the wet, no gripes from what I've done in the snow, and very good dry performance.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Warlord187 said:
Summer --> Kumho Ecsta SPT (KU31)
Nice. What's your general opinion on those SPTs?

I wanted to get those, but I was stuck up north last winter and had to get something snow-worthy. Ended up with GY TripleTreds.

The biggest concern I have is sidewall stiffness. My tripletreds grips fairly good, but roll like hell in corners compared to my stock RS-As.

Are the SPTs (being a performance tire) stiff? How about ride and noise?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I just had a set put on my wife's 2002 Concorde. Tire Rack had them in 2nd place after testing. The wife made it home today in a snow / ice storm with no problems at all. I have a set of Michelin Pilot A/S on my 2001 'Trep R/T Motorsport that are amazing. I think you'll do fine with the Bridestones. I was going to use Goodrich Traction T/A but the Bridgestones were $360 on the road and out the door.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,467 Posts
I personaly use round tires that are black in color on my cars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Potenza G009's I own have done good service in heavy rain. Yesterday's snow and slush was manageable too; maybe it was my own imagination, but they didn't slide at all. Course I was driving ultra-conservatively too.

I once took a 25mph curve at 55mph by accident in the rain and the rear started losing traction and swinging left. Thankfully, the G009's lost traction predictably and gradually and recovered grip quickly. Terrifying when you're not expecting it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts