DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm wondering where the fuel rail comes into play when changing the gaskets on a 3.5L. Where do I disconnect the lines to lift off the intake manifold?

The procedure seems to skip over it completely. It states you need to discharge the fuel pressure in the rail, but after that - nothing.

Remove the intake manifold plenum from the intake manifold. Discard the old gasket. Cover the intake manifold openings with tape to keep debris from entering the engine.

Remove the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing and the heater hose from the rear of the intake manifold.

Remove the lower intake manifold retaining bolts and the manifold from the engine. Clean all gasket mating surfaces and inspect for distortion with a good straightedge.

·
Registered
223 Posts
once you remove the metal hold down bracket on top, you will have access to the clips that hold the lines into the rail. Don't lose the clips, you can not get them by them self. I just did my intake gaskets, and I only took one fuel rail off to get the manifold out. by the way, the gasket set does not include the one for the water pipe on the rear of the intake

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I've done it many times and never taken the rail totalyl off, the lines are felxible at teh bck you can lift it up and totally out of teh way without an issue

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eagle88 said:
by the way, the gasket set does not include the one for the water pipe on the rear of the intake
I thought you are just removing the hose? So all I need so far is the intake gasket set and water pipe gasket, no fuel rail gaskets since I'm not completely removing it?

·
Registered
223 Posts
you will have to remove at least one of the fuel rails to get the manifold out.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
to get either manifold out you don't have to disconet the rail from the car, you can un-bolt it and just lift it up out of the way gets ya plenty of room

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
gr8crash said:
to get either manifold out you don't have to disconet the rail from the car, you can un-bolt it and just lift it up out of the way gets ya plenty of room
Sounds like how I'd want to do it. Does the rail have to be disconnected from the injectors first? Or yank it with the injectors? Gaskets needed?

Can I not just lift the rail out with the intake?

Sorry for 50 questions here, it seems like when I'm just about to start its either too hot out or I realize I need one more piece of info.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
you gotta lift up the rail to get the lower manifold out. Unless you have to disconnect it don't bother, thre is enogh of the steel flex line at the back that i've many times just lifted it up and tied the front up to the hood and it holds it out of teh way, rail, injectors and all, and from there you can get to teh rail gaskets, and everything else

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those fuel injector gaskets need to be replaced when I put it back?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts