DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Mom's little '93 Foxbody Mustang LX is down. The 2.3 has jumped time. Instead of trying to fix it, I'm thinking about getting her something else and taking this on as a project car... do the 4 banger to 5.0 conversion. I have a friend who's done it with the same year LX and said he'd help me. A rough estimate to do the total conversion including the 5.0 liter, harness, various suspension components and brakes would be right around 2 grand. What do y'all think? Worth it, or just asking for a lot of headaches?

The body is nice and square and doesn't appear to have ever been wrecked. I bought it about 5 or 6 years ago from my buddy's shop where a lady signed it over to him because she didn't want to pay to have the heads redone after a blown head gasket. I got it for the price of fixing it... around $300 IIRC with the gasket and machine shop cost for the heads. I gave it to mom to use as a grocery getter/errand runner and it's served her well. I think she's tired of it though and said she wants to get rid of it. She'll be turning 70 this year and she doesn't really drive much anymore anyway, so I was thinking of finding maybe a nice 1st gen trep for her to tool around in and I'll take the Mustang, turn it into a project car and see if I can get my 15 yr old son interested.

Here's the little red pony in it's current "beater" state:

OR.... I could just sell it...

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IDK, I probably should just sell it. Putting money into something else when my car needs things would be pretty dumb. If I had tons of money it would be fun though...

·
Speed is Power
6,683 Posts
Yeah if you dont need a car, I would sell it. Put money into the trep :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
if your still thinking about this (been a while)....it's real easy to get a streetable 300 hp out of the 2.3 and lots more if you have the $...nothing like a 2.3 fox going down the track in 9 sec with it wheels off the ground for the 60'......just type in 2.3 fox on utube

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep! Building a turbo 2.3 would be the easiest, quickest way get some power to the wheels. :) Of course, that wouldn't be a Turbo Coupe...it would be an SVO. lol! :hit1:
unless you have a donor, it could get a little pricey, my brother has a tbird t coupe he's using for a swap and it's still costing a bundle once it's done (rebuilding/replacing worn parts) but the look on some BB Camaro's face when you just killed him with a four banger will be priceless :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts