DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what everyones opinion is on rebuilt vs never been touched. In otherwords, whats better, buying a 1996 car with rebuilt tranny or the same exact car with a tranny that works perfect but has n ever been touched (mileage and everything else beeing the same). Just for example say the car is a 96 intrepid with 110,000 miles on it, would it be better to have a perfect orginal tranny or a rebuilt one?

Now what about cars like ours where the tranny is somewhat of an achilles heel, same question.

When it comes to the engines, I would have to say (provided the timing belt has been changed), I would perfer a perfect running orginal over a rebuilt even at a higher mileage. However when it comes to the weak trannys, I was always under the impression that a rebuilt unit might get you more mileage in the long run, but lately I am not sure about that anymore.

Now whaty about older cars? Does your opinion change?

·
9,861 Posts
I've heard of, and seen, a few rebuilt trasmissions die again. I dont know if they just replace the broken parts or what.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Really depends if the transmission was rebuilt correctly...a lot of places will simply only fix what is broke and leave the rest of the transmission as is. A good shop will replace all of the clutches and do a complete overhaul when rebuilding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts