DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I need to replace my battery, but i cant find out for the life of me what kind of battery it is, and NO ONE seems to carry it. The Kragen accross the street has the batter for the 2.7 model, but doesnt show a listing for the 3.2 model, which is me.

So can anyone tell me what kind of battery is in a 3.2 litre 2000 Intrepid ES?

Also, can i get any instructions on replacing my battery. I'd really rather not take it to a mechanic and get charged up the ass for it. I'm having some electrical problems (flickering, car wont start, all intermittent) and I'd like to replace the battery (which i think is the original battery... 6 years old and 99k miles!). If anyone has any other ideas, I'll happily hear them.

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Just measure the battery tray and the height of the battery. With that basic dimensional info, you're all set.

The Interstate Batteries MT-34 (700 CCA) fits the Intrepids according to their web site. The dimensions on that battery are 10.25 x 6.9 x 7.75 inches (L x W x H).

http://www.ibsa.com/estore/default.asp

Buy the largest battery that will fit or the largest one you're willing to pay for. Many parts stores will install a new battery for free, check before heading to a mechanic.

Don't forget to spring for new cables & terminals if necessary and anti-corrosion goop on the posts.

But before you spring for $100 or more for new battery, check all of the cables.

Be sure to check both ends of the cables to the jumper posts (are the connections on the jumper posts tight??) and in the case of the positive cable, all the way across the engine bay to the power distro center on the inside of the drivers side fender.

Unless damaged, modern car batteries don't often go 'intermittant'. One day they just up and die on you. Intermittant stuff is usually a loose or corroded wire/cable. Check those first.

·
Registered
494 Posts
and if u take it to ANYPLACE to get the battery installed, plan on at least $50 to $100 bucks since the battery is in the fender. If they go from the top they have to remove alot of stuff and even if they go from the inner fender its still no picnic...Sears quoted me $95 for a diehard gold battery for my 2000 r/t and another $75 to install it! I said screw that and got a interstate and spent about 45 minutes installing it myself...its a pain getting the plastic fender to line back up to put the screws back in but it really isn't that hard, just in an awkward place!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
98 - thanks for the tips. I'll go pick up new cables tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I'm overdue for a new battery too.

aredtrepRT - do you need to do anything from above if you intend to remove the battery entirely? I've gone in from above before (pulling out the air filter) and I found it almost entirely useless. Can I go in from the wheel well and remove the battery without having to pull out the air filter?

although, I imagine I'll need to pull out the air filter to replace the cords if they're the problem.... correct me if I'm wrong ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
bedrock said:
Hey

I need to replace my battery, but i cant find out for the life of me what kind of battery it is, and NO ONE seems to carry it. The Kragen accross the street has the batter for the 2.7 model, but doesnt show a listing for the 3.2 model, which is me.

So can anyone tell me what kind of battery is in a 3.2 litre 2000 Intrepid ES?

Also, can i get any instructions on replacing my battery. I'd really rather not take it to a mechanic and get charged up the ass for it. I'm having some electrical problems (flickering, car wont start, all intermittent) and I'd like to replace the battery (which i think is the original battery... 6 years old and 99k miles!). If anyone has any other ideas, I'll happily hear them.

Thanks!
Chris

Wait Wait, You want to replace the battery with an intermittent flickering problem?? Well Ok if the battery is over 5 years old, it is time. But it will not solve the problem of the flickering lights, and intermittent problems.

My first guess would be a loose/broken wire somewhere. But from experience that is not likely. There is definanetely more to your problem then a dead battery.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
There is 30 minutes of work at most to change the battery.
And I took out the air filter box, headlights, wheel well panel. and took off the wheel too.

·
Registered
734 Posts
the battery you need is a 34 series. If you have an autozone near by, a duralast is pretty good and so is the warranty. but if you wanna go all out. go Optima.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts