DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im trying to see if i can wash the engine since is getting a little bit dirty i dont know some guys tell me that the engine gotta be running and hot while im washing it others says something totally different so since this is the first time im going to do this i need some help

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
when i clean mine all i did was put a rag over my cone filter. sprayed the hole engine down with engine degreaser. rinsed it all off with a powe washer. the hole time the engine was running and i made sure not to direclty spray any electrical with the power washer

·
Speed is Power
6,687 Posts
I used Simple Green and then let it sit for a few minutes then power washed it off. When I did mine I covered up a few wires under the hood but from what I hear you dont have to cover anything.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Watch out not to blow any vacuum lines loose with the power washer i did that once on another vehicle Oooooooooooops i wasn't laughing out loud about that one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would say to use a good engine degeaser and rinse off with a garden hose, you dont want water gettin in places where it can do some damage, i.e. fuse box. Ohh, and dont put cold water on a hot engine, you could possibly crack the block.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
If all of your components are intact minus the after market intake, your engine should be pretty waterproof. You should be able to just go to town with the water. I have done it frequently without consequence. You know, driving in a rain storm more water than you think is getting under the hood constantly. Just dry out the nooks and crannies with a towel and make sure you take it for a 15 minute drive or so and you should be fine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
alright so you guys are saying wash the engine with a good degreaser have the engine running and hot all the time and dont use cold water did i miss anything? thanks guys if anyone else have another opinion let me know

·
Registered
239 Posts
You don't have to run the engine hot. If you're just using the garden hose, you should let it cool down before you hose it off, as was said before, you don't want to crack anything. After washing it all down, however, take it for a drive to warm it up.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Use a leaf blower or air compressor to blow some of the water out of your exposed electrical connections if you have one available... but otherwise you don't really need to be too afraid of water in your engine bay.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Spray the engine down with Simple Green or Greased Lighting (or even the tire and engine cleaner at the car wash). Let it stand for a few minutes and brush if needed.

Pressure rinse the engine but use low pressure on the PCM, brake fluid container, PDC (fuse box) and ignition coils.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright thanks for the help guys ill do this tomorrow since i got a long week off

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I use simple green and a brush and then the power washer. If its the first time this has been done a good brushing is a must, I don't care what you use all the gunk won't come off without a good brushing.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
I use simple green and a brush and then the power washer. If its the first time this has been done a good brushing is a must, I don't care what you use all the gunk won't come off without a good brushing.
Werd.........................

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The first time I did mine, I just went to a coin operated car wash, and used the soap and the water and it looked good as new afterward. And by first time I mean it wasn't done for AT LEAST 100,000 miles while being driven through WI winters.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
spray a good engine degreaser (simple green, etc) let sit, rinse off, while still wet spray plastic pieces with tire wet spray (the stuff to make your wheels shine) so it "looks" clean, and then start/run the car. That's all I did, and this was the result:

before:

after:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts