DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
undefinedthis is my first Post.
I have a 2000 Intrepid w/2.7 eng & 109K. it was a former salesman's car I was given as a retirement gift in mid-2002 and the 1st 78K was mostly highway miles & most my driving has been highway as well. it has run syn oil in since inception and has syn tranny fluid also. till I visited this site I thought it was the greatest. only prob has been to replace driver window motor. uses no oil or tranny fluid. nadda! I have replaced the spark plugs and front brk pads & change the oil myself. then I read these horror stories on this site about $2k strut replacement & $2k timing chain replacement and the 2.7 not being a dependable engine.
mine still rides, looks & runs great. I had planned to run the wheels down to the size of thread spools but now I am starting to get concerned. I'm not gonna be hurt by the car as it was a gift, but I wonder is this a 150-200K car or should I be looking over my shoulder to dump it. Do they run great and then just crap out, or do things just gradually wear out as they age, as most cars do? We normally run cars to at least 150k. I would appreciate any guidance here as to what I might expect. My wife and I love the car.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
tarkon said:
undefinedthis is my first Post.
I have a 2000 Intrepid w/2.7 eng & 109K. it was a former salesman's car I was given as a retirement gift in mid-2002 and the 1st 78K was mostly highway miles & most my driving has been highway as well. it has run syn oil in since inception and has syn tranny fluid also. till I visited this site I thought it was the greatest. only prob has been to replace driver window motor. uses no oil or tranny fluid. nadda! I have replaced the spark plugs and front brk pads & change the oil myself. then I read these horror stories on this site about $2k strut replacement & $2k timing chain replacement and the 2.7 not being a dependable engine.
mine still rides, looks & runs great. I had planned to run the wheels down to the size of thread spools but now I am starting to get concerned. I'm not gonna be hurt by the car as it was a gift, but I wonder is this a 150-200K car or should I be looking over my shoulder to dump it. Do they run great and then just crap out, or do things just gradually wear out as they age, as most cars do? We normally run cars to at least 150k. I would appreciate any guidance here as to what I might expect. My wife and I love the car.
For starters welcome to the site! :)
Secondly... like I have said before if you use Synthetic motor oil with a GOOD filter... do not slam on the gas, and take very good care of your intrepid... it will last you for a long time. Of course all cars do not last forever... treat the car as if it was a brand new one. Regular maintenance is a must with the 2.7 liter... ie; spark plugs, 3,000 mile oil changes, tranny flush as required, etc ,etc... you seem to be a knowledable man to know the rest. Best of luck with your Intrepid, and on a good note: there are members on this site with over 125,000 miles on their SE's with the original engine. I use that as inspiration. :biggrin:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a 2000 as well & it has 208,000 kms ( approx. 120,000 miles) It runs great.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Welcome to the site and you will find that there is varied opinions on the 2.7. You seem to be doing all the right things for longevity of your engine.
Any car can develop steering, brake, and transmission problems. Yes, there are particular problems associated with any make and model of any car. Some members report getting many, many miles out of their 2.7's. Keep doing what you are doing with it. Drive it until the wheels fall off and in the mean time save some money every week towards the next car...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
my thanks to Crombie, Slick 1, bongobobny for the welcome to the site and the good information and advice. sounds like, if I keep doing the right things, I could expect to at least get around 125K or more B/4 becoming too leary of problems. We recently bought a 2000 Chrys van w/<20K for trips and plan to use the Intrepid more for local driving so the miles don't continue to rack up as fast on it. as I said , we love that car. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts