DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference between turbo, supercharged, and nos?
How do each work? I don't plan on doing any of them, it's just been rolling around in my head for while. I have an (i think) 88 plymoth voyager in my sideyard (it came with the house :) with a turbo. But it doesn't run so I've been told.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
NITROUS OXIDE is a high level of oxygen and sulfer dioxide that is injected into the engine creating a temporary high level burst of horsepower due to the highly dense mixture for combustion. a great modification if set up properly with the right engine modifications and jetting.
TURBO is a small turbine engine that recycles your exhaust gases in combination with fresh air and forces it into the engine by an impeller.usually creating it's power at higher rpms.
a SUPERCHARGER is simmiler to a turbo but runs off a belt driven motor and has a more even distrobution of power through out the powerband.

·
Registered
407 Posts
>NITROUS OXIDE is a high level of oxygen and sulfer dioxide ..

Well, not exactly. Briefly, it consists of 1 molecule oxygen an 2 of nitrogen. When heated it degrades into the base elements giving 33% oxygen and 67% nitrogen (which is inert). The increase of oxy from 20% (atmospheric) to 33% along with an appropriate increase in fuel is what boosts power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts