DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of 255/45/17, but I wanted to know if anybody else has tried to mount a tire this wide on a stock 17" rim, Razorstar to be more specific.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Thats sound about right but keep in mind if you go with a wider tire it is possible that you will lose some sidewall strength and stability in corners.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
That is not considered a "safe" tire for the 7" wheels. Tirerack under specs has a listing of tires recommended for each tire size. The Special has 7.5" wheels so it can accept a wider tire. for example a 225/45/17 is considered too wide for the 7" wheel.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
D76G12 said:
Yep! I think he meant 245/45 since that's the stock Special size and it does come w/a 7.5 x 18" ...
Yeah, that sounds right. From what I've heard, often times a narrower tire is actually more stable on a wider wheel. For example, the 225 width tire would have more sidewall strength and more cornering stability on the 7.5" wheel than the 7". I'm not totally sure if this is true, I just know I've read that in the past.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
Yeah, that sounds right. From what I've heard, often times a narrower tire is actually more stable on a wider wheel. For example, the 225 width tire would have more sidewall strength and more cornering stability on the 7.5" wheel than the 7". I'm not totally sure if this is true, I just know I've read that in the past.
Yeah, that's called "streching " the tire. That's something common among drifters.. BTW thanks for all your replies guys !!!!!! I'm gonna go with a 235/55/17 bcs I don't want to have the mushroom look with the 255's supposing they fit, bcs As Ronbo told me and I rememberd talking to Ross about this, he had trouble with his 245's wich would make the 255's nearly impossible to mount on stock 17" and I don't want any problems. Maybe that's for the best also since the 235's will be lighter also and a little cheaper. :drink:

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I would go with 245 width on the stock rims, forget 255. I'm running 255's on 8.5" wide rims ;)

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
In2Deep said:
A lot of us are running 245/45-17's... :biggrin: Much easier to find...
I just cmae across this thread again. So you've had no problems using the 245 width on the stock 7" wide wheels?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts