DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 97 3.5L

On the air intake coming from the air box and working your way toward the engine there is a hose (about 1.25 inch diameter) coming from the air intake, near the end of the accordian piece, that is about 4 or 5 inches long and runs to the back of the engine at one side. What is this hose for????

I noticed today that this hose has a nasty split in it and I'm wondering if it could be the culprit for my rough idle/misfire that is giving me a code 43. I had been assuming that it was gaskets again but it would be great if it were just this hose.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
yea it prob could, its causing an air leak so it sposible it could cause your code. It's part of the crnk case ventilation system.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out the the hose was the source of my first code 43 the other was as I thought the lower intake manifold gasket again.

Strang thing is with the bad hose and gasket I was getting 30mpg on the highway now after they have been fixed I'm only getting 26mpg. Is there anything I should check??? could something have been done or done wrong to reduce my mpg during the hose and gasket change???

·
Registered
299 Posts
i have the same problem. my hose is cracked and it leaks oil. i need to go to home hardware or home depot and cut a new piece.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Strongt said:
Is it #9 in the pic?

If it's split, it would cause a vacuum leak.
no it cant be #9, he said its a 1.25diameter hose. whats shown in the pic is way too small. its a hose that is right after the throttle body and it connects to the top left valve cover is what hes saying.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No offence DKILLA but wake up man, look at the last post before yours. It was #9 and it has been fixed.

I just revived this thread because of my decrease in MPG, I wanted to see if there was anything that could have been done inproperly or whatnot during the repairs that could account for the drop in MPG.

·
Registered
299 Posts
i dont need to wake up, the picture just looked kinda ****ed up to me. Could you take a pic if yours so i know what you're talking about. i honestly dont see this on my trep.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DodgeyAussie said:
This thread sux
Thanks for the ever so constructive input.

Now to get back on trac here is a reposting of where this thread was actually supposed to be going:

Turns out the the hose was the source of my first code 43 the other was as I thought the lower intake manifold gasket again.

Strange thing is with the bad hose and gasket I was getting 30mpg on the highway now after they have been fixed I'm only getting 26mpg. Is there anything I should check??? could something have been done or done wrong to reduce my mpg during the hose and gasket change???

·
9,861 Posts
Change your air filter. When that pipe was broken, you were bypassing the air filter.

·
Registered
299 Posts
can anyone link me a pic for a 3.3l

i will circle the pipe which i am talking about and needs to be changed. let me try google.

brb ! :D

EDIT: this is the pipe of mine which is sweating oil, can i replace this with any garden hose?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
DKILLA said:
can anyone link me a pic for a 3.3l

i will circle the pipe which i am talking about and needs to be changed. let me try google.

brb ! :D

EDIT: this is the pipe of mine which is sweating oil, can i replace this with any garden hose?
I suggest you use automotive hose (rubber) and clamp the ends. Unless you find metric hose you'll never get the right size to make it fit snug ...

·
9,861 Posts
It's called a PCV hose. If you need to ask if a garden hose will work, you should probably just order a new stock hose from your local dealer. Just go up to the parts counter and ask for a new "Passenger's side PCV hose". They will probably have to order it, but it shouldn't take long.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the input Hypnos but the air filter is fairly new and still clean so it should be flowing about as good as any standard paper filter flows. I really gotta get my CAI made soon though and put on a conical K&N

1 - 20 of 21 Posts