DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i get between 100-120 miles on a half tank of gas which equals out to about 13.5 -- 16 mpg. and this don't seem right to me. especially since i got all new o2 sensors and a cold air intake. so my question is what are other users getting for fuel economy outta their 3.3L treps. thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On my 1996 3.5 Intrepid l used to get around 24mpg on the highway, that has dropped to around 19mpg now but it probably could use a good tune up too. 13mpg does sound a bit low to me.
:drool: god i wish mine was ANYWHERE in that range!!!!!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
on the OTIS I get 24.1 mpg that is mostly backroads and sitting in traffic but also some highway. I get more like 180-200 out of 1/2 tank.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
on the OTIS I get 24.1 mpg that is mostly backroads and sitting in traffic but also some highway. I get more like 180-200 out of 1/2 tank.
omg! i dont get it! what i've got done that should help fuel econemy is :
fuel filter
fuel pressure regulator
o2 sensors (all 4)
cool air intake
i've cleaned the air intake
its got new plugs and wires
new coil pack (dunno if this helps mpg's but its new anyway)
camshaft & crankshaft positioning sensors
what am i missing? i could use the break with ALWAYS filling up!!! i even tried 89 octane and no difference!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
With the price of gas we all may want to go to horse and buggy lol.

Grif maybe a tuneup and new air filter might help your mpg some, l use stp fuel injector cleaner in mine periodically also, which helps too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the price of gas we all may want to go to horse and buggy lol.

Grif maybe a tuneup and new air filter might help your mpg some, l use stp fuel injector cleaner in mine periodically also, which helps too.
tuneup what? i've done a full tuneup. are you talkin oil change and all that cuz i did that i just didn't write cuz i didnt think it'd help fuel ecomomy. and i got a brand new spectre air intake system (well its like 2 months old, but still kinda new) and i also have ran seafoam thru the gas tank as well. that should clean injectors right?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unless there is more stuff on this car i can change that would help...then i say bring it on!!! ill gladly change everything!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
lt sounds like you have covered it pretty well, l'm not sure what else to tell you since l'm not a mechanc. Did it ever get good gas mileage before all this or has it been like this since you got it?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lt sounds like you have covered it pretty well, l'm not sure what else to tell you since l'm not a mechanc. Did it ever get good gas mileage before all this or has it been like this since you got it?
i bought the car in december, but didn't start driving it until january cuz i was in the bahamas. but it actually got WORSE gas mileage and the bit i've done has helped sum....not much....but sum.
darn it.....i wish there was just something i have been overlooking....

·
Registered
144 Posts
I only get about 13-14mpg in my 96 3.5 in city driving. On the highway, I do get at least 24mpg though. There's a big difference if you're doing lots of stop and go. I had my car all tuned up with new plugs, wires, and filters recently too. I'm very easy on my accelerators and brakes, driving in the city, my rpms never go past 2,000 rpms,so imagine if I drove it hard haha.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
phew....the last two posts make me feel a little better. i drive strictly in the city as well. don't even have to use the highway hardly ever. usually short trips as well...6 miles or below.

·
Registered
21 Posts
mpg

im getting 18 miles mpg city driving, complete tune up, compression equal across all
cylinders. 1996 eagle vision 3.3 also use seafom..

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you thought of checking for leaks? I'd be givin up a car that gets less than 24mpg
i hooked up a fuel pressure tester to the schrader valve on the fuel rail and i dont seem to be losing any pressure....HOWEVER i do smell fuel thru the vents sometimes (usually when im low on gas) and i havent been able to track this down. any suggestions on that would be really welcomed

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
The problem with people claiming their MPG is the whole worlds of varying variables. A person is a flat location will get better MPG than one in a hilly location, Also the altitude matters, and rather or not they are using a/c too. And what speeds? Alot of people claim this and that mpg on the highway but offer no speed, a/c on and off, drafting, no drafting.

I personally get 18-19 in City (very short trips to work with 3 red lights, mostly flat) 17.7mpg round the area if I use the a/c fully, (I life in Chattanooga so there are many hills and steep climbs) On the highway @70 mph I can get upwards to 31mpg, 35+ with drafting (even with a safe following distance one can draft) Above 75 mph my mpg go to 26-28, and last time I was at 90mph, I got a reasonable 22mpg. I do notice I get somewhere between 1-2 mpg less if I use my a/c on the highway vs windows down. This is all calculated by my OTIS. On long distance trips where avg speed is 80mph, 26.6 seems to be the overall avg, (not resetting for stops or anything)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i live in jacksonville, it's pretty much flat. and the ocean is 13 miles away from me. so not too high above sea level. umm..i try not using a/c (thats when i get 16mpg) but i live in florida so summers a hot one here and i use it when im hot (13.5 mpg). i pretty much am in all stop and go traffic, 40-45 mph usually. and i take mostly short trips (10 miles at most in one time). i try gettin on the freeway and get it up to 90ish once a month or so to blow out carbon build up.
i hope thats a good enought summary of my driving. if there is anything else i can add to assist lemme know

1 - 20 of 26 Posts