DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just blew the outer tire rod. Looking to change it and the sleeve. Possiblely both if its not to hard. The local Midas wants 481 to do both sides and that includes the wheel alingment. Is it necessary to do both sides, and is a wheel alingment necessary? Point toward a how to. It looks pretty simple looking at in the Chiltons. Do I really need a puller?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Changing both outer tie rod ends and sleeves I'm sure you can do yourself in your driveway. I've done them on other vehicles with a picklefork (looks like a really big tuning fork). But absolutely have it aligned after your done. Anytime front suspension or steering components are replaced, you should get the alignment done. The only item that could be replaced without changing the alignment it the sway bar end links and sway bar bushings. Other than that, tie rods, sleeves, ball joints, control arms, struts, etc.. they all affect the alignment.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks froggy, I am having it towed to the my backyard now. I am going to pick up the parts and get started tomorrow. Hopefully I will be up and back on the road soon. I am thinking 45 minutes a side should do it...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Depending on how easily you can access everything, I think 45 minutes each side is reasonable. Do yourself a favor and get a can of penetrating oil like PB Blaster and soak the adjuster sleeves before you get to replacing them. After they've been soaking for a bit, you'll thank me for that little piece of advise.

One thing that may make things a little easier is if you unbolt the inner tie rod from the rack and pinion and then from the steering knuckle and then remove the entire thing. Carefully measure how long the complete assembly is and remove the inner tie rod and put it on the new sleeve and outer. Then put it back on the car. If you can at least get close on the measured lenght, then it won't be too much of a pain for the shop to align it. BTW, if you do it this way, do it one side at a time. I have heard of issues when removing both inner tie rods and then trying to line things up later. Also, while you've got them off, not a bad ide to spend another like $20 and replace the inner tie rod bushings. Just a thought and good luck.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Came off without a hitch. Took maybe an hour per side. I did not do the inner bushings. Was not hard at all, and it is not pulling either direction. The sterring wheel is lined up good. Going for a wheel alingment tomorrow... By the way I use WD40 on the bolts, came off with ease. I wish I knew how to leave rep points for you froggy...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
RMF419 said:
Came off without a hitch. Took maybe an hour per side. I did not do the inner bushings. Was not hard at all, and it is not pulling either direction. The sterring wheel is lined up good. Going for a wheel alingment tomorrow... By the way I use WD40 on the bolts, came off with ease. I wish I knew how to leave rep points for you froggy...
No problem. Glad everything came apart nice and easy for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts