DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. I know I posted this a few weeks ago.. but I'm just curious to hear your opinions on what the problem might be on this..
A few weeks back.. I needed new tires.. mine were shot.. it was making a thump/clunk thump/clunk thump/clunk type noise repeatedly.. Back tires were separating.. so got the tires.. few days later the noise re-appeared.. getting louder every day now :confused: It sounds like it's coming from the front right wheel/tire.. I can feel it through the steering wheel a bit.. but it's also a little louder when I turn the wheel to the left..
It quiets down when I get over 65 mph.. but only some.. anyone have an idea what this might be??? also.. my steering wheel clunks especially when it's chilly out.. could this be contributing to the clunking noise?? can it be a bearing? ball joint? cv joint? I dunno.. any advice/help you all can give is appreciated.. thanks.. ;)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I have a noise coming from my wheel too. The front driver side one. It sound slike something is loose, but I don't see anything loose/hanging. It's like a tink tink tink sounding noise. Only happens when the wheel is spinning, and it's steady. It doesn't get louder when I hit bumps or turn or anything. Help me too if you guys can. :(

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Originally posted by pimped3point3:
It's like a tink tink tink sounding noise.
That clicking noise you hear is probably a CV joint. That is what they sound like when they are bad. It will cost a few hundred to fix. Do both at same time.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
As for the thump/clunk noise, it may be a wheel bearing. I had one go bad on one of my cars. It would get worse when I turned the wheel and never went away with speed.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Check your lug nuts. Also, see my second post. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
ok not sure if mine is what you people think that thumb thump rattle shake thingy problem .. below 40 mph is make a thump thump sound and feel, like hitting bumps in the road.. when I go over 40 its real smooth.. When I take turns below 40 its smooth.. its looks like if my car drives a striaght line it shakes and thumps like hitting bumps.. Thought it was wheel balance, but I got new tires and balanced, and brought it again for balancement again.. and it still does it :(
what is it??? and how much????

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Your problem could be tie rods.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey sorry I didn't reply back when I got this fixed.. anyway.. mine was a wheel hub/bearing type thing.. the invoice says right front assembly. It would've cost me 179.99+125.99labor if not for my warranty :eek: so thank God for that. Gonna be expired in 8,000 miles though :(

·
Registered
137 Posts
my mother has a stratus and i think that it had the same popping problem, we got it fixed. it turns out it was the front left stablizer, they orginally thought it was the rear struts. i would say its the stablizer

·
Registered
50 Posts
WOW over $300 for the wheel bearing assembly to be changed. I am definitly glad that I do my own work. It's not that hard of a job to do and I think that when I changed my front drivers side that I paid $80 and maybe an hour of my time. WOW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It could be your cv-joint...i had a similiar problem just the other day. I was hearing the noise for a couple of months, did nothing about it, then just the other night it snapped. My whole wheel was sideways. The cv busted which also caused my axel and other things to snap. Take care of it quickly before it costs you $600.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts