DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help! Today I have had replaced the original 16" wheels to 17" on my Intrepid ES and my mechanic did some changes on the car's. As I was driving home, the speedometer stop working; after a while, the check engine light appear on the dashboard. What can be the problem?

I appreciated any help!
Ana

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have you checked to see what caused the CEL.
If you don't know how to: Put the gearshift in neutral, cycle the key to the "ON" position 3 times(do not start the car). Any codes will appear in the odometer display. Each code will be displayed for about 3 seconds. When the last code has displayed, it will read "done".
Don't worry if you retrieve code 1684 it means your battery has been disconnected.
Here's the link to the codes and what they mean:

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/codes.shtml

In case you don't get any codes relating to your problem.
What work did the mechanic do?
Maybe the "Output Speed Sensor" got disconnected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response! The mechanic did change some settings on the car's computer (the wheels size of 16" before to the actual 17" ); I'll do the test you described tomorrow.

Ana

·
Registered
291 Posts
Since you changed to a different wheel size, I believe that you have to get the BCM(Body Control Module) flashed(reprogrammed) by the dealer.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
anetta said:
Need help! Today I have had replaced the original 16" wheels to 17" on my Intrepid ES and my mechanic did some changes on the car's. As I was driving home, the speedometer stop working; after a while, the check engine light appear on the dashboard. What can be the problem?

I appreciated any help!
Ana

You might have hit "limp mode". Changing tires will not effect your speedo that way. Might want to look into the input andout output sensors. If you get a P0700 when you click for codes, thats the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Changing wheel size (diameter) would throw your speedo off calibration but not make it stop working all together. If the mechanic tried to re-program the pinion setting, they may have screwed it up, or left a connection loose.

You'll need to pull the codes.
I'd expect P0500 - Haven't heard from the speed sensor lately.

·
Registered
209 Posts
P0501 - Vehicle speed sensor performance.

Either the sensor is disconnected or failed. Part's not to bad, and you can change it out in the driveway. ($35 I think)

Don't forget to reset the computer to clear the code when done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do i really have to change the wheel size on the computer? B/c the mechanic changed it back to the 16 inch stock wheel base.......as soon as he changed it back to 16 inches the speedometer began to work again and the check engine went away.....Is it okay for me to drive w/ the 17 inch wheels w/o changing the computer......?
thanx the help

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I don't know why the mechanic would change it in your computer.......the 17" probably have the exact same circumference as the 16" tires did?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
the wheels are yes. But the circumference of the tire probably isn't. You CAN put a smaller profile tire on a larger wheel and get the same overall diameter you know.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
P0501 was the same code I got when I got my new PCM. The tech forgot to set the pinion factor so the speedo didn't work at all even though everything else was OK. My guess is your ES PCM doesn't like the pinion setting for the 17" wheel because it never came from the factory that way - it probably doesn't recognize that option even though it's in the option list. But the pinion setting really doesn't matter all that much.

Archael is right - it's the tire size that makes the difference not the wheel size. Stock tire sizes of 225/60R16 (SE & ES), 225/55R17 (R/T & SXT), and 245/45R18 (300M Special) have less than a 1% difference in diameter and that's what effects the speedo and odometer reading. For comparison ...

Type ................... size ....... revs/mile
Michelin LX4 ..... 225/60R16 .. 776 .... ES
Michelin HXMX .. 225/55R17 .. 774 .... R/T
Michelin HXMX .. 255/45R18 .. 769 .... M Special

What size tires did you get ...?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts