DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a 2004 SE and I'm still running the 16-inch silver 5-spoke alloys. I was running through the options of wheels and I think 17s would be a good choice but I want to make sure and ask if 18s would be overkill and get ruined on rough roads too easily or get curb rash as I am not brilliant at parallel parking. I'm also concerned about ride quality too as the roads can be quite rough around where I live. I plan to have a set for summer and a set for winter, So, should I consider 18s, or are 17s good enough, or should the stock size wheels suffice? Please let me know what you think.
Thanks

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,938 Posts
Had 18's on mine for many years. No issues. Ran 245/45/R18s, they were definitely noisy (can vary between tire brand too) compared to the stock 15" wheels I had lol. Overall not bad. The ride was pretty good.

Two got damaged by a pothole a couple years back so I went to 15" classic steelies with dog dish caps. They ride better and are very quiet.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Agree on the noise. I have older Michelins on the 18" Special wheels and they are dog gone noisy. Have to admit that I am totally OCD about avoiding any and everything in the road!

·
Premium Member
17,203 Posts
In my experience, tire noise is 100% dependent on tread design and wear patterns - large tread blocks with little or no siping (common in "performance tires") become noisy due to irregular wear patterns. Of course, I never got into the larger wheels, but I wouldn't think the wheel size itself affects tread noise - maybe they tend to make the larger-wheel tires with more aggressive treads. Of course large wheels result in more unsprung weight (more metal, less rubber), which causes road bumps being felt and heard a lot more.

Not telling you guys anything you don't already know. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is all good info. Thank you! My goal though is to maintain the same fitment from stock to keep the functionality there. It’s a daily so that’s why I’m looking for that. Any segregation’s on wheels that look good? And btw, the more I think about it, the more I think 17s are the way to go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have 16in cop steel wheels w/dog dish type hubcaps mounted with Michelin Aquatreds. I have pretty much mostly bought Michelins, because of the excellent quality control, and they wear like IRON. However they are a somewhat noisier tire.
I bought a new Cherokee which came with Firestone Destination tires. They've been a pleasant surprise. They seem to be quiet, though they don't wear like a Michelin.
I also bought an 09 Charger ex-cop car with 18in steelies wrapped in very impressive Goodyear Eagle UltraGrips.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Choosing 18's can be a challenge depending on design. If they are an open design it will expose those small brakes. Not sure if there are big brakes available to fill the void.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought some oem takeoffs from an 05(?) Magnum, 5-spoke aluminum wheels, I think they were 17in. They were good looking wheels, so I thought I'd try them on my 02 Trep, but IIRC, the spring seat on the strut interfered with the back of the wheel rim, so you may need to be aware of a wheel offset issue.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It all depends on the 18's really and the overall aesthetic you are after. I enjoy my 18's and since switching to better tires (Used Goodyears to New Nitto's, most likely an age difference) I haven't had any overly abundant road noise

1 - 9 of 9 Posts