DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK all, the 2003 ES (3.5L) that I bought last month has come a long way but the other day I had some goofy stuff happen.

First, I was pulling in to work (about 5 miles from home) and stopped to put the car in reverse so I could back i to my space. I realized the car had stalled when I tried to back up... started the car, put it in reverse and had no problem. I sat in the parking spot and switched from drive to reverse several times and had no hint at the car faltering.

Next, Left for lunch and pulled up to the first stop (about 1/2 mile down the road) and the car stalled. At this point I think to myself: "torque converter". Started the car, was OK through 4 more red lights and at this point I'm wondering if the crank sensor or fuel pump is getting stupid.

Last, I was climbing a small hill by my house when the car fell on itself for a second (at around 1300-1400 RPM) and it came right out of it again... so, not a torque converter, I think.

The question is: even though I know the tranny is tired and it throws a hard 2-1 shift every now and then, do I lean on a torque converter(and possible rebuild) right off? A side note is that when I had the shifter cable problem, the pan needed to be lowered to get the $#@! dipstick tube out and the tranny definitely was serviced in the last two years.

I'm thinking that a new crank sensor and possibly a cam sensor is where to start. Does that seem like a logical start?

There were/ are no codes and I have not driven the car. I hate to start swapping out parts without a direction, but it seems like all of the incidents could have been caused by the crank and/ or cam sensor.

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
if it starts right back up,, id say something in the way of say maybe dirty intake, IAC etc,, usually a bad converter will jerk hard to stall it out

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,267 Posts
What Tom said, also common symptoms of a crankshaft sensor issue. They often will not set any codes when they are going by the wayside.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
About a year ago mine had the same issues and it turned out to be the connector going to the cam sensor was broke causing the intermittent stalling.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys... No jerking, just a stall. I think for the 51.00 the crank sensor costs, it is getting changed this weekend.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
If you can get to a yard they are free-99.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
About a year ago mine had the same issues and it turned out to be the connector going to the cam sensor was broke causing the intermittent stalling.
I had this as well. I'd try to check out change the cam sensor, not crank.

·
Premium Member
16,403 Posts
Also agree on sensors - and of course, OEM only (including Micholob's source).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Long story short. I got under the car this weekend to swap out the Crank sensor and saw that the harness running to it had rested on the exhaust pipe and some of the insulation was melted... AH HAH! I still swapped out the sensor after repairing the wiring and routing it better. Took the old girl for a ride and had no issues. I will keep Y'all posted.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I would also recommend checking the prices at factorydiscountparts.com.
They are a dealership in WV and I have purchased from them twice this year.
I believe I paid less than half of what you paid for that same sensor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts