DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i need your help. i need to know where the oil pressure switch is located because I need to replace it. pix would be greatly appreciated as well as instructions. i'm assuming this is the problem. it smells like burning oil, my light flickers, and it looks like oil was spraying on the bottom of the oil pan. if i'm wrong i'd also appreciate other ideas. i used to b about a quart low every oil change but ive had to put 3 quarts in in 3 weeks. thanks ahead of time

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Underneath, drivers side, about 6 inches to the rear of the oil filter, 1/2 way up the block. It will have a green plug with one wire coming out of it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
^^^ What he said

To remove/install you need a open end wrench or a deep well socket. You'll need to drain some oil out before you remove it.
You don't need to drain oil when you do it. Only a little would really drain out, just enough to slighty soak up a rag.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
You also need a special socket for it because it has an odd nut on it.. I bought some cheapo $7 one at Autozone since I'll probably use it a whole 3 times in my lifetime.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You also need a special socket for it because it has an odd nut on it.. I bought some cheapo $7 one at Autozone since I'll probably use it a whole 3 times in my lifetime.
I spent like $15 on that and used it only twice. Why can't they make anything easy? they should have made it so w could use a regular socket.

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
I spent like $15 on that and used it only twice. Why can't they make anything easy? they should have made it so w could use a regular socket.
Because its Chrysler,lol. Look where the battery is!

·
Registered
840 Posts

green one.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
A fits-all works good on a 2.7...only because there is room to get at it. You absolutely need the oil sender socket for the 3.2/5.

·
Registered
840 Posts
it is 27mm or 1-1/16".

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok heres an update...it was leaking like crazy when i pulled my car in to my garage. then i replaced the swtich with an aftermarket because the factory one i bought i left in my lil sisters car 1.5 hrs away. let the car idle in garage for bout a minute and no leaks... take my hour and half drive, and its pouring again. Question: since im assuming the aftermarket one didnt fail already...is it possible i didnt tighten it enough and because of engine heat and expansion that it started leaking again? and...anyone got the exact size and/or torque rating/specs (ft/lbs) so i know its in there tight enough. oh and light comes on at 1000 or below if that means anything.... thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
840 Posts
bearing may be gone.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
ok heres an update...it was leaking like crazy when i pulled my car in to my garage. then i replaced the swtich with an aftermarket because the factory one i bought i left in my lil sisters car 1.5 hrs away. let the car idle in garage for bout a minute and no leaks... take my hour and half drive, and its pouring again. Question: since im assuming the aftermarket one didnt fail already...is it possible i didnt tighten it enough and because of engine heat and expansion that it started leaking again? and...anyone got the exact size and/or torque rating/specs (ft/lbs) so i know its in there tight enough. oh and light comes on at 1000 or below if that means anything.... thanks a lot guys

Typical aftermarket sensor.

I installed one on a brand new engine last year and the light flickered below 1000. Installed OEM sensor, problem solved. Last time I will every buy an aftermarket one.

Next step would be an oil pressure test with a mechanical gauge to rule out any oil pressure issues.

If the oil pressure is good, then replace the sender with an OEM unit.

As for the leak, if its still coming out of the plug, the sensor is junk. If its coming out where the sensor meets the block, then its likely too loose, or there is no sealant on the threads. Some good teflon tape or thread sealant will seal it up, the torque on the sensor is not more than 120 in lbs.

Get the proper oil sender socket for it as well. A regular socket will not fit properly around it. The only other successful method I have found is a crescent wrench.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Typical aftermarket sensor.

I installed one on a brand new engine last year and the light flickered below 1000. Installed OEM sensor, problem solved. Last time I will every buy an aftermarket one.

Next step would be an oil pressure test with a mechanical gauge to rule out any oil pressure issues.

If the oil pressure is good, then replace the sender with an OEM unit.

As for the leak, if its still coming out of the plug, the sensor is junk. If its coming out where the sensor meets the block, then its likely too loose, or there is no sealant on the threads. Some good teflon tape or thread sealant will seal it up, the torque on the sensor is not more than 120 in lbs.

Get the proper oil sender socket for it as well. A regular socket will not fit properly around it. The only other successful method I have found is a crescent wrench.
Bump.
What brand(s) is/are OEM equivalent, as opposed to aftermarket? Would somewhere like Napa, Autozone, or Advanced have the right oil pressure switch, or is that a stealership part?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts