DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

What brand belt did you use for your 100K service?

• OEM - Gates

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • After Market Gates T295

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Dayco 95295

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Goodyear GTR-40295

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Cloyes B295

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clevite TB295

• ACDLECO T295

• ContiTech TB295

• Duralast Dayco/Timing Belt 95295 (AZ product)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • NAPA NBH 250295

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought this might be informative. Please answer poll as well as post what your experience so far is with your choice. Some people have reported additional noise from certain brands (ie: super charger whine)

You can make up to 3 choices

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,438 Posts
Gates....the napa belt is made by gates as well and is the same as the gates OEM belt.....no issues with either.

Belt noise is usually an indicator of a tension issue, no belt should make noise.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gates....the napa belt is made by gates as well and is the same as the gates OEM belt.....no issues with either.
There has been discussion before by IIRC TFC that the Gates Aftermarket and the Gates OEM had different tolerances when installed and he viewed real time timing with his DRBIII. He claimed the OEM belt was more in time I think

Interesting that the NAPA is also Gates rebranded. I noticed once before that the OEM gates was made in the USA at one time and the Gates AM was made elsewhere (Japan maybe??) don't remember

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,438 Posts
To much or not enough?
Could be either or. Too much is usually a higher pitched wine. Or bad tensioner bearings. No timing belt should make noise.

BTW, youve got three of the same belts up there. The napa, gates t295, and OEM are all the same belt.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW, youve got three of the same belts up there. The napa, gates t295, and OEM are all the same belt.

There has been discussion before by IIRC TFC that the Gates Aftermarket and the Gates OEM had different tolerances when installed and he viewed real time timing with his DRBIII. He claimed the OEM belt was more in time I think

Interesting that the NAPA is also Gates rebranded. I noticed once before that the OEM gates was made in the USA at one time and the Gates AM was made elsewhere (Japan maybe??) don't remember
See above

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
They are made by the same Manufacturer. We are all assuming(hoping) that they are made to the same specifications. I think it is a good idea to list them seperately.

I have installed 3 of the Gates aftermarket T295 belts. 2 purchased singly and 1 purchased in a Gates timing kit. They all looked identical to the pentastar logo'd OEM belts they replaced. They installed fine and the timing was in spec with them installed. None of them have run anywhere near long enough to comment on durability or longevity.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
when i voted earlier i went with OEM gates, aftermarket gates, and the napa..... because theyre all the gates!! lol

i find it interesting that all belts have the same last 3 numbers. 295 hmmm

edit: mine now has a OEM gates on it by the way. had to do the 100k sevice with 55k on it. the belt was over due by the time interval 2 years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The Clevite is a Gates.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
the last 3 numbers on all the belts is 295.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It doesn't matter

Any of them will probably work fine. And I have to say, the original Mopar that came off of my 01RT at 120K miles looked brand new. I know you can't necessarily tell by looking, but I could have cleaned that thing up a little and convinced anyone that it was fresh out of the box.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gates kit

I just replaced mine, i was putting an engine from the wreckers into the car I just bought. It only had 101000Km on it (due at 160) but i figured with the engine on the floor now was the time!! I used the Gates kit, I looked it up on line and got the part number. The local jobbers and NAPA did not list the kit in their system, they called the warehouse and lo and behold the ware house stocked it. Priced out separately the components came to well over $300 when the kit came in it priced out at $180 (trade price) It includes the belt, the complete idler assembly(with pivot), hydraulic tensioner and the water pump and gasket!!! Excellent deal! I have used both gates and goodyear when I had my Jetta, I really didn't like the Goodyear it was thin and flimsy but was very rigid, it was definately noisier than the gates, when I had deisel pump problems I replaced it with a gates even though it only had about 10000Km on it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What is the price comparison? Anything from the dealer tends to be overpriced. If the NAPA, OEM, and Clevite, (I'm willing to bet cloytes is the same) are all gates belts, who is the cheapest?

·
Registered
20 Posts
pricing

You have to shop around, in my area the prices varied from Mfg to Mfg and from jobber to jobber, sometimes by quite alot! For instance just the belt itself listed out at anywhere between $110 to as high as $140 and that is with my trade discount. The water pump on average add another $80 to $95 (these are all Canadian prices... yours should be a little less) As you can see the COMPLETE Gates kit with everything included at $180 was an absolute deal! Just make sure you order the right kit, my car is a 2003 and the kit number had an "A" tacked onto the end. Apparently the engines changed somewhere around 2002 and so the tensioner and idler are a little different. I believe the earlier kit number is the same less the "A".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts