DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay peoples, I was just curious, I use to own an 89 Thunderbird LX 3.8L.. My question was this.. Are all the 3.8L Thunderbirds (except the 3.8 SC) the same? Will my 3.3L take any tbird 3.8L stock in a race? Thanks guys.. Sorry if it's a stupid question... I just wanted to know because where I live there are many many many people with Thunderbirds..

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hey I used to have an 89 Thunderbird too.. 3.8L.. yes.. your Intrepid would prob kick some ass to the Bird.. Mine was slow as hell.. compared to my trep.. so.. I think u'd beat them.:rolleyes: :biggrin: :D

·
Registered
990 Posts
oh.. just noticed when I read your post again you have a 3.3.. never drove a 3.3 before.. because I have the 3.5 :wink: but.. I would still think you might have a good chance.. let me know of the results if any come about.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I had a 3.8 T-Bird...a '97. I was decent in pickup but I've never driven a 3.3 Intrepid before. Who knows...go for it!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
All 3.8 n/a thunderbirds are the same, the hp varies by 5 hp. Total hp is 140-145.

From 0-60 times I've seen it's 9.0 secs, 16.7 in the 1/4 mile.

A 3.3L has 0-60 of 10.4 and 1/4 mile of 17.7 secs.

I guess that 3.8 has a lot of torque.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a 3.3 L and I bet its not a 17.whatever for a 1/4 mile
mabe low 16 or high 16 but no 17

my friend has a 3.8L also i think its a 92 I havint goten a chance to race him yet but im sure i could keep up with him if not beat him:devil:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
DarcSwarm said:

16's in a 3.3? HA!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
DarcSwarm said:

my friend has a 3.8L also i think its a 92 I havint goten a chance to race him yet but im sure i could keep up with him if not beat him:devil:
umm, yes it is, ur car weighs in at 3400lbs and u got 161hp and you expect to be running 16's?

I got my info from Car&Driver, Road&Track, and Motor Trend.

A 3.5L runs 0-60 in 8.9 and 1/4 mile in 16.6, there is no way in hell a 3.3L will run anywhere close to a 3.5L (except if u s/c or turbo it, which right now, isn't likely)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Okay, I don't know how to quote on the forums, but this'll do:

jhrody: "well, considering that even the SC t-birds arent
exactly earth-shattering performaers, id say
you could definitely beat a n/a 3.8."

Your opinion is wrong. j/k :) But my friend has an early 90's Super Coupe, and although it is just a Thunder Chicken which is made by Ford, which I hate, that car AMAZES me. If anyone on this board thinks their Intrepid can beat one ( not to say you said that), or even come within a couple of seconds in the quarter or 0-60, you'll find me on the floor rolling around laughing.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
vahalla's 1st gen 3.5 ran a 15.3 at the track.

oh yeah, to quote, simply use the quote button conviniently located on the post which you wish to quote from. :sly:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Knightmare_3.5 said:

Your opinion is wrong. j/k :) But my friend has an early 90's Super Coupe, and although it is just a Thunder Chicken which is made by Ford, which I hate, that car AMAZES me. If anyone on this board thinks their Intrepid can beat one ( not to say you said that), or even come within a couple of seconds in the quarter or 0-60, you'll find me on the floor rolling around laughing.
I'm pretty confident that I could beat one. :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, very interesting... I know alot of SC owners and I have ridden in both many stock and modded SC's.. I think those cars (SC) are pretty good performers.. There are many mods you can do to those cars to boost there performance... www.tccoa.com is a good website to learn more about them... Hope I didn't piss anyone off..

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Warlord187 - I assume you're kidding. Anyway, you may be able to beat some SC out there, but there's no way you can beat the one I've ridden in, trust me. Dump a grand in nitrous, and that may be another story.

vahalla - 15.3 is pretty sweet though, I wish my trep could do that. Was that with a really good reaction time? If you add a negative 2 second reaction time to that you could prolly beat my friend.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
arent the SuperCoupes SuperCharged?
My brother has a '90 cougar with the V6 3.8L, non-super. and aside from needing new headgasgets every 20 K miles or so, it also eats gas (about 21mpg hiway). This thing is a DOG! I don't have to really try to beat him at any speed.. (off the line, on the hiway.. anywhere).
the car is a good matchup agains my mothers mini-van (3.3L '95 dodge Grand Caravan). run about the same from a stoplight (provided the mini doesn't spin the tires. don't tell my mom I was racing her 'baby' :rolleyes: )

oh yea.. just rebult the engine in that thing last year when we did the head gasgets. it got new rings, new bearings, valve job.......

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Knightmare_3.5 said:
Warlord187 - I assume you're kidding. Anyway, you may be able to beat some SC out there, but there's no way you can beat the one I've ridden in, trust me. Dump a grand in nitrous, and that may be another story.
Alright, there's something you're not telling us. What mods has your friend done? If he did any mods that we're not exactly comparing apples to apples anymore now are we. :biggrin:

I'm not saying I'm 100% sure I could beat one, but I'm also not saying that I'm 100% sure I would lose. The R/T has more horsepower, but the T-Bird has more torque. I have no idea how much the T-Bird weighs.

Oh and yes, the SC has a supercharged 3.8L V6.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
An R/T will destroy a n/a 3.8L Thunderbird, it does 0-60 in 7.8 secs and 1/4 mile in 16secs

it'll come close to beating the s/c thunderbird, but it's really close.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
97 sport platinum said:
vahalla's 1st gen 3.5 ran a 15.3 at the track.

oh yeah, to quote, simply use the quote button conviniently located on the post which you wish to quote from. :sly:
How the hell did he shave 1.3 secs of the 1/4 mile? What did he do to his car? add warp drive? (j/k)

but seriously, what mods?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Now I remember him, I believe his car is stock, therefore 15.3 secs? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... HA

correct me if I'm wrong didn't he use some formula do get that or a g-tech pro thing?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
he took out all the weight, made an air scoop from the wheelwell thru no filter and other ghetto track mods.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts