• 3.5L SOHC

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • 3.5L SOHC H.O.

Votes: 6 11.3%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
How many mpg do people get in their cars with 2.7's?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
highway 28-35
city 18-24

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I swear my 3.5 is better on gas than the 2.7 was. Doesn't seem to have to work as hard
C'mon man... The 2.7L still turns out 200hp +, which is more then enough to move the vehicule around with ease. I think the 3.2L maybe the only one that could come close to the 2.7L in efficiency.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
C'mon man... The 2.7L still turns out 200hp +, which is more then enough to move the vehicule around with ease. I think the 3.2L maybe the only one that could come close to the 2.7L in efficiency.
Mine also had 270,000 kms on it....was not great on gas.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My 3.5 is nearly as economical as my 2.7. Factor in that the 3.5 is a great engine that is very reliable against the awful 2.7 and I'll take the 3.5 every time.I get 29 highway from the 2.7 and 28 highway from the 3.5.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've never kept too precise records of my fuel economy but my 3.3 gets at least 30mpg highway.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I used to get 31 mpg highway with my 2.7 when I took it on long trips and kept the speed under 65 mph... kinda miss that. My 3.5 Magnum averages about 25 mpg under the same conditions.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Agreed on the 3.2 part. Since we're talking about economical here several factors to consider:
1. reliability (cost of maintenance is a big issue here)
2. performance
3. fuel economy

3.2 rivals 2.7 in fuel economy. Beats it in performance and reliability. With much lower cost of maintenance... Hands down the most economical enigne for LH.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The 2.7L has a pretty low final drive ratio. I'm not surprised it's not much better for mileage.

My Father's 00 LeSabre. It's comparable in size and performance to an it gets better mileage with a bigger engine. I'm pretty confident it's due to it's high final drive. It's just cracking 2000rpm speeding on the highway. My LHS is about 27-2800rpm.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My 3.5L H.O. gets:

26-32 Highway
18-24 City

Hopefully, I'm not an outlier.
I don't think you are.. I get pretty much the same out of my r/t.

The 2.7 was definitely much better on gas though.. easily did 400 miles between fill-ups.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Depends on what you call "economical".

If you're talking about fuel mileage independantly, 2.7 hands down.

If you're talking overall cost to run, 3.2.

There's more to economical than fuel costs, like repair costs............

A lot of people sweat ove rmpg these days, I prefer to look at how much it costs to run the vehicle in a year.

Add up your insurance, payments/interst payments, maintenance, fuel costs, etc and you might be surprised at actual running costs.

After all, it's about how much cash in total that car sucks out of your wallet. My paid for 04 300m Special is cheaper to run in a year, once all costs are considered, than my neighbor's 07 civic. And I've got a big comfortable powerful vehicle. He's driving a lunch box...................

1 - 20 of 21 Posts