DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Which LH Body Engine is the Most Reliable/Easiest to Maintain?

• 2.7L DOHC

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • 3.2L SOHC

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • 3.3L OHV

Votes: 24 41.4%
  • 3.5L SOHC

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • 3.5L SOHC H.O.

Votes: 12 20.7%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
3.3 - short timing chain driving the pushrods never needs replacement. No outstanding reliability/maintenance issues that I've ever heard of. I don't think it's an interference engine either. 3.2, 3.5 have timing belts and are interference engines. I'm not going to even talk about the 2.7, except to say mine keeps me on my toes.

One thing that the newer engines do have is the coil over plug ignition, which should be more reliable, but the coils seem to fail anyways. Other than that, I'm puzzled as to why people are voting for any other engines. Please enlighten me.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
the R/T SXT people had no choice, same goes for the 300m. so we have to vote the 3.5HO. ITs the only engine we have seen.

Im at 72k km, only replaced oil with synthetic at almost 5000- 6000km and the accessory belt and pulley because i thought it was breaking down, turns out they were almost mint, no cracks in the belt so im keeping them as spares for when the car goes or stays as a company vehicle.

But then again i guess 72k isnt pushing the reliability limit LOL. Just a little background as to why i picked the 3.5ho, the 3.5 is the same tho, just what 30 hp less? same motor under the intake plenum.

CM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts