DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which plenum flows better? 2nd gen 3.2/3.5 or 1st gen 3.5? Ignoreing MTVs. Including TBs.

2nd gen TB is like 64mm (but can be raised to 70mm). Each of the 1st gen TBs is around 47mm, and can be raised to at least 50mm.

I want short runners and high flow.

·
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*bump*

I really thought that the 2nd gen tb/plenum flowed better, but after re-doing some math, it seems like the 1st gen tbs/plenum flows better.

·
Registered
714 Posts
truthfully, without taking cross sections of the 1st gen and 2nd gen, you can't know. Unless you actually fill each one with water and measure the displacement of both.

I can't think of any other way that would give you an accurate measurement.

Hardwarz

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
You'd have to do more than displacement because of the different widths of the two plenums and who knows what kind of surface area roughness difference inside the two plenums. One would think that the 1st gen because of it's twin throttle bodies would be able to push more air but due to structural differences, the velocity may be increased due to the sleek size, but then again, TB-per-plenum supposedly will give better distribution of air compared to the single TB in the center of the 2nd gen manifold where it had to do a T-split sort of deal. You could contact an engine shop, maybe they could flow test the two for you.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I think the first gen plenum will have much more volume, and thus require less air inlet size. Both seem to be very good designs. You might as well just use a first gen plenum, it will save a few headaches in the end. Its not like your going to see anything more than at most 5hp between them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts